twenty

chapter twenty ~ the one with the awkwardnessHeather's POV

Heather's POV

Today I made the decision that I was going to venture out of the apartment building for the first time by myself and look at some apartments nearby that would suit me. I needed something affordable because I currently didn't have a job but I had some money that I had been saving over the last couple of years that would pay for something for a few months, until I got a steady income. The boys had offered to come with me as a second opinion but I told them that I would be fine, I knew the real reason that they wanted to come with me and it was because they were worried that I would bump into Carl. But I hadn't seen him in weeks and with my luck, I was hoping that I wouldn't ever bump into him again because I didn't know how I would react when I saw him.

"Hi Heather."

I almost dropped my keys as I was trying to lock the front door when I heard a voice behind me. My heart was thumping against my chest and my hands were all sweaty because I knew that voice and I knew that this wasn't going to end well. Carl was stood behind me and I knew that I couldn't avoid him, even if I walked as fast as I could down the stairs and refused to make eye contact with me, I couldn't avoid him forever. I took a deep breath because it seemed like we were going to have our adult conversation right now and even though I didn't want to see him, because my chest stung every time, I saw him, I knew that this was the right thing to do. Talk now and withstand the pain because then I'll never have to talk to him ever again.

"Carl, how are you?"

"I'm good." He said, sticking his hands in his pockets. "How are you doing?"

I took a second to scan him up and down, he was right, he was good. It didn't even look like our breakup had affected him because he looked the same as he did weeks ago. The same pushed back hair, no bags under his eyes and a smile on his face, something that I didn't recognise because he never smiled around me. He was wearing a suit, which meant that he was probably on his way to work which made me sad inside because it reminded me of the many times that he cheated on me by telling me that he was working overtime or going on business trips. He hurt me really bad and now he was acting as if nothing had happened.

"I'm fine. I'm actually on my way out, so I can't talk-"

I tried to step away but he just stepped forward and stopped me from leaving, blocking my path which I cursed at in my head; just when I thought I was free from him, he was back. "Look, I know you don't want to talk to me right now but we need to."

"Fine, talk." I snapped, crossing my arms over my chest and glaring at him. Hoping that if I glared as hard as I could, then maybe he would burst into flames and this whole thing would be over.

"I'm moving out. Tomorrow actually, so, here are the keys to the apartment. You were the one who picked it when we moved here, so it's only fair that you get to live in it now."