eight

chapter ninety six ~ the one with the one year anniversary Heather's POV

Heather's POV

Our relationship was official and open to the rest of the world, not that the rest of the world cared that much but I was happy that I no longer had to hide when I was out with Joey. We could be a regular couple and spend time in the city without worrying about bumping into someone that would disapprove of our relationship. We weren't the only ones in a happy relationship, as Monica and Chandler were enjoying the secrecy of their relationship and Rachel was dating a guy from their building. It was my first time meeting him today as we all sat in Central Perk and I was shocked at what I was seeing in front of me. Danny had brought his sister along with him, and I remembered Rachel mentioning how weirdly close they were, so now I was waiting for something weird to happen. Rachel was on the couch with Danny, his sister on his other side and Monica was on the armchair, Chandler and Joey were on the stools and I was perched on my boyfriend's lap because there were no other spaces. "So, we finally get to the top of the mountain and airhead here forgets the camera." Danny laughed, pointing to his sister as he finished his story.

Joey laughed. "You know, that same thing happened to me one time."

"When did that happen to you?" Chandler questioned, frowning in our direction.

"Don't you remember? We were jogging in the park; we saw that really pretty bird and I wanted to take a picture but I didn't have my camera."

"Okay, first of all, chasing the Churro guy is not jogging." My brother replied as the others all laughed, but Joey didn't find it funny and wrapped his arms tighter around my waist, burying his head in my hair so that he couldn't get embarrassed. I knew that Chandler hated us being affectionate in front of him but he had his revenge when him and Monica were all lovey.

"Oh, this is so good, you have got to try it." Danny's sister was in the middle of eating a cream cake, when she stopped and scooped cream onto her finger, practically shoving it down his throat.

"This is good." He agrees, holding up the cake and taking a bite but dripping some of the cream onto his pants. "Oh, damn, I got it on my pants."

"Here, I'll get it." She grabs a tissue and leans right down by his groin, licking the tissue; which was definitely weird for siblings as I tried not to stare at their strange behaviour. "We better take these off upstairs or that stain's going to set."

"Yeah, I want to wear these pants on our date tonight."

"Oh, great." Rachel says sarcastically as the siblings leave Central Perk and we all turn to see her reaction to what the hell just happened.

"Okay bye." Chandler jumps onto the couch next to her. "Oh my God!"

Monica gasped, trying not to laugh. "That was unbelievable."

"Okay, see? I told you."

"Wow, yeah, sorry Rach." I apologised, snuggling into Joey's warmth as I was disgusted by what we had just witnessed.

"I don't believe they're brother and sister." Chandler shook his head which made Joey's eyes widen in surprise. "They're brother and sister?"

We didn't stay long in Central Perk because we had plans for that night, it was our one-year anniversary and tonight we were celebrating. Joey and I went to dinner at our favourite restaurant and then took a stroll through the city. It was our favourite thing to do, especially in the winter time because it gave us an excuse to get closer to each other with the winter air. Wrapped up in our cosiest clothes, and stood as close as physically possible to each other, we shared stories and memories of the past year. It had gone by so fast and I couldn't wait for what the future would hold, hopefully there would be many, many more anniversaries for us; where we could laugh at even more memories together and possibly even share the day with special people to us. We hadn't expected to last the year, so now that we had, all we could think about was the future that we shared together. "Can you believe that we've been together for a year?" I asked, slipping my hand into his and relishing in the warmth that it held.

"No, time really does fly, huh?" Joey replied, looking down and pressing a loving kiss to the top of my head, a new habit that he had picked up and something that I would never get tired of.

"I guess so, it feels like yesterday that we were slow dancing on the rooftop together. Joey, when did you know that you liked me? In this way, not as just friends?"

"The first time I met you." He answered straight away and it took me by surprise because I didn't think that he would have an answer that fast. "It sounds cheesy, but as soon as I saw you, I knew that there was something special about you. But you were engaged, and you were Chandler's sister, I didn't want to complicate things."

"You would never complicate things."

"No, but you were getting used to some pretty big changes and then when you dumped Carl, I was almost certain that we were going to have our moment. Then Nick came along, so I backed off. But then, when you broke up with him, things changed."

I rolled my eyes, thinking back to what had happened a year ago. "Obviously they didn't change that much because you started dating Kathy."

"I convinced myself that you didn't like me back. So, I used Kathy as a distraction but that didn't really work because she ended up cheating on me with Chandler. And then she cheated on Chandler."

"I called it, I said from the beginning that I didn't like her."

"Yeah, well, I called Nick, remember?" He shrugged, looking down so that he was staring straight into my dark eyes, and it made me think about what could have happened if things weren't like this.

"What would have happened if Carl and I had stayed together?" My mind panicked, because I knew that this was the best thing that could have happened to me. "Everything would have been so different."

"No, don't think about that. You and Carl wouldn't have stayed together, I would have eventually won you over with my charm and my good looks."

"You won me over on day one, I just hadn't realised."

Joey leaned down and brushed his lips against mine. "I love you."

"I love you too." I grinned, reaching up to kiss him again and relishing in this perfect moment.

a/n: okay, so in case anyone was wondering this book is almost finished & will end at season five 😚 then a second book will be published for season six onwards, because the ten seasons wouldn't fit in one book & it makes sense to split them in half 😆 thank u to everyone for the support, it really means a lot to me ❣️ -lizzie ⭐️

date published: 05/01/21