one

chapter sixty eight ~ the one with the discovery channelHeather's POV

Heather's POV

Waking up after a night of drinking was never great and after a night like the one that we all had, no one was feeling their best. My head was pounding and it felt like I was walking through a crowded bar that only played drum and bass all morning, not even the pills that Monica had brought to help hangovers, was helping. It just made me feel worse. Maybe the headache wasn't what was making me feel bad though, maybe there was something else that was eating me from the inside and then everything that happened last night, came tumbling back into my mind. And all of that happened because of someone's stupid suggestion to play Strip-Poker. If only we had come up with a better game, something less naked, like charades, then nothing else would have happened and I wouldn't be thinking about this right now. Last night wasn't supposed to mean anything but it did, it meant more than I wanted it to and now I didn't know what to do.

Last night, my strange butterflies had exploded and I had felt something for one of my friends, I had started feeling something for the boy that was my brother's best friend and it was wrong. We were both drunk and the situation wasn't helped by the fact that he was almost naked, sat in the chair next to me. It was a stupid mistake, something that shouldn't have even happened and it wasn't helped by the fact that we had almost kissed. At least, I think we were about to kiss but I would never know because Rachel interrupted our moment. What would have happened if she hadn't had interrupted by shouting about Margaritas? Would we have kissed? Or would he have pulled away at the last second and laughed about making me think that it was going to happen?

Did Joey feel the same way about me that I was feeling for him? Or was he just so drunk that he would have kissed anything that moved past him? Maybe if I hadn't been sat next to him, then he would have almost kissed one of the other girls; or maybe he was so drunk that even if Ross or Chandler had talked to him, then he would have tried to kiss them? A part of me wished that it hadn't happened, if nothing had happened then I wouldn't have anything to worry about now and then I wouldn't have any reason to be anxious about going downstairs for breakfast. But then a part of me wondered if this had happened for a reason and if he did feel just an inkling of what I felt for him, then maybe something would come from this almost kiss that we had shared last night. Joey wasn't the easiest person to talk to and he definitely wasn't the easiest person to read, which meant that I couldn't beat around the bush with him and I couldn't just hint at what I was saying either; if I wanted an answer from him then I would have to just ask him straight and hope that he wouldn't laugh at me, or pity me because both reactions were as bad as the other.

I came down the stairs, wearing my short pyjamas which I had packed for the beach holiday that we had all been hoping for and when I reached the bottom of the stairs, I noticed that Joey had just woken up in the sand. Something that the others must have done after I went to bed because he had been buried under the sand in a mermaid shape, breasts and all. Just as I was preparing myself to ask him about the night before, he brushed past me and pretended that I wasn't even in the room. He just headed upstairs to take a shower and didn't bat an eyelid in my direction. That was all I needed from him, because it was obvious that he wanted nothing to do with me since the night before. This was his way of saying that he didn't feel anything towards me and that I didn't need to bother to ask any questions about what could happen between us. I had a feeling that he didn't feel anything towards me, I mean, we had known each other for three years and he had never tried to make a move on me. Sure, he always looked out for me and made sure that I was okay but that was more of an older brother move and because of this reaction, I knew that that was all he was going to be; my unrelated big brother.