seventeen

chapter one hundred and five ~ the one with the catholic italian grandmotherHeather's POV

Heather's POV

After the constant apologising that Joey and I had been doing over the past few days, our relationship was back on track and we had moved past our first official bump in the road. I counted this as our first fight because the only other time we fought like this was when Joey wanted us to have sex but I wasn't ready; and I didn't count that as a real fight as it didn't last very long. This one was more serious because our relationship was more serious, we loved each other now and that wasn't something that you could just brush under the rug. Due to us being back in love and on track, things were looking great once again and Joey had even made up for the handful of dates that he had cancelled. On top of getting our relationship back on track, I was more than happy to say that my boyfriend was an actor on Law and Order. No one needed to know that it was only one episode, because that didn't matter, what mattered was my boyfriend was living his dream and I couldn't be prouder of him.

Tonight, was the night that the episode that Joey was starring in would be premiering and to celebrate, all of our friends had gathered at Monica and Rachel's apartment to watch it. Even though they weren't the ones with the biggest TV, they did have the best snacks and that was ultimately why everyone decided that this was the best apartment to watch the show in. I wasn't complaining because I didn't want everyone to be in my apartment, especially not when Steve in my building was sure that I wasn't friends with Ross; if any of my neighbours saw me inviting Ross into the apartment then they would know that I had lied to them and then they would all hate me too. Nevertheless, we were all very excited for Joey's big night and he had a special guest planning to visit.

As Joey's girlfriend, I had met most of his family. I had met his Mother when she came to visit, the first year that I had lived in the same apartment building as my brother. Then I had met all of his sisters when they came to his birthday party, just a few days after Nick and I had broken up and had invited me around for dinner with his grandmother. Nonna had been the person to give me the family necklace, which I still wore but only for special occasions because I didn't want to ruin it or lose it. Joey didn't mind, and was glad that I was taking such good care of something that had meant so much to his family. I hadn't met his father yet, but his father was the first person to know about our relationship which I was worried about but ended up going well. He kind of didn't have a choice but to accept me now that his mother had handed down the family necklace to me; which came with a lot of added pressure and we hadn't even told the rest of our friends about how important this particular necklace was.

My boyfriend had gone to fetch his Grandmother so that she could watch the show with all of us and I had headed over to the apartment to meet our friends. The only thing that I knew about this grandmother was that she didn't speak any English, which would be difficult because none of us knew any Italian and we weren't sure how great this evening was going to go. The only person who could speak Italian was Joey, but even then, we weren't sure just how great he was and could be translating anything to his grandmother, who wouldn't know any better. Monica had made snacks for everyone to watch the show but was planning on going out to dinner with Chandler to celebrate their own anniversary; so, she wasn't going to eat a lot. I was helping myself to the food, along with Rachel and Phoebe, when the front door opened and Joey stepped into the apartment, his grandmother under his arm. She looked adorable in a light pink coat and matching pink hat, she was much smaller than I had imagined but had a stern expression on her face which proved that no one could mess with her. "Hey everybody, look who's here. You remember my grandmother?"