Part #9-I know a place

Tommy ran. He didn't know where he was running, but he just had to run. His knees were scraped, his knuckles bruised, his body just ached. He turned the corner and stopped, gulping for air. He looked up and saw a familiar bookstore. He headed inside.

Techno was quietly humming to himself as he rearranged the bookshelf for the 5th time. He wasn't the best singer, he was definitely offkey. He heard the jingle of the bell as the door opened and he took off his headphones, "Hello, welcome t- Tommy? What are you doing here?"

"I... I... Can we go for a drive?"

"Tommy, I have to work. Let's get you patched up and after my shift we can drive, ok?"

Tommy nodded and followed him to the back. He sat down among some books, sipping on the bottled water Techno had given him. He winced when Techno started looking for injuries, "I think I fell on my wrist when I got p- tripped. When I tripped."

Techno just hummed in response and stood when he finished, "Stay back here. Call Dad so he knows you're with me. You can listen to music, just make sure my phone doesn't die," Techno said as he set down his phone and went to tend to the store.

Tommy opted out of calling and just started scrolling through Techno's playlists. He had to stop himself from laughing when he found sappy love songs. So he's a romantic, who would have guessed.

After a couple, long hours, Techno's shift was finally over. The pair got into Techno's car and headed off. They drove for a while, just enjoying the trees passing by and the comfortable silence they found themselves in.

"Do you want to go to my favorite spot?"

"You have a favorite spot and you've never taken me?" Tommy faked being offended.

Techno just chuckled and continued driving. Tommy looked confused, as they were reaching spots Tommy hadn't seen before.

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see."

Eventually they arrived at a lake surrounded by trees. Tommy followed Techno and his eyes widened in awe. The lake was lit up by fireflies, the soft glow reflecting onto the water. There was a small clearing with a picnic bench and a burned campfire.

"I love it, Techno."

"I knew you would. Coming here helps me calm down," Techno sat down and faced his brother.

"You? Anxious? Pfft when pigs fly."

Another hum, "So, how did you really get hurt. Not your lame excuse of tripping," Techno patted the seat next to him.

Tommy crossed his arms and moved to sit next to him, "It wasn't that lame. Some kids took the diamond sword charm Dad gave to me, so I punched one of them."

"Did you tell a teacher?"

"I've tried, they don't listen to me."

"Do you want me to go talk to them?"

"No, you'll just scare them."

"So what are you going to do?"

Tommy looked down and started kicking his feet, "Dunno... I can't keep running."

"Good point, so you tell someone who can fix it. Like Dad. Speaking of, did you ever call him?"

"... no."

"Well then we're both screwed. Might as well enjoy this while it lasts."

"Yeah, might as well." The younger boy leaned against Techno, his eyelids becoming heavier and heavier by the second, "I'm sorry if I scared you..."

Techno just wrapped his arm around his brother, "That's just what little brothers do."