Part #24-Santa Techno

Techno walked alongside the large crowd, grey buildings looming overhead. He just kept his head down, avoiding the gaze of the crowd. He had a panic attack the first couple of days from just walking, but he got used to it. If he never interacted, then there was no reason to get nervous. It'd be worse having a one on one with a taxi driver, but he knew Wilbur would probably enjoy it.

He almost missed his apartment, catching himself drifting into deep thought on his family. He slipped inside and began his trek up three stories. He wasn't like Tommy, who could probably run up and down the stairs three times over before being out of breath. He chuckled at the thought, before arriving at his door.

Techno didn't have the nicest apartment, but he didn't mind. It's not like he was bringing anyone over. Shedding his dull red trench coat, he slung it over a chair as he entered the kitchen. He just made some toast, too tired to put any effort into a real dinner, probably must to Phil's dismay. Grabbing his phone and toast, he laid down on his bed.

Letting out a sigh, he scrolled through his Twitter feed while he ate, soaking in the rare silence. He put the dish up and fell asleep, only to be woken up by a call.

Sitting up, he glanced at the time. Who's calling at midnight? He rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and answered, "Hello?"

He had to immediately jerk the phone away from his ear as three voices all started speaking at once. Tommy was the loudest and rambling about school, Wilbur and Phil scolding the boy.

He heard Dad's voice first, "Were you asleep? Did we wake you? We meant to call earlier but somebody decided to go on a run without telling us."

Techno laughed and moved more upright, "Nah it's fine. I was just taking a nap."

"What are you? A cat?" Wilbur joked, and Techno could almost see his smug grin through the phone.

"Ya because he's a pu-" Tommy got very quickly cut off by the older pair yelling at him.

Techno shifted to lean his back against the wall, the window to his left, "That's more Wil than me, Tommy," he once again had to pull the phone away as he heard Tommy start howling with laughter, Wilbur starts to yell, and Dad struggling to contain the two.

"ANYway," he heard Dad start and pulled the phone back towards him, "When are you coming home? Maybe for the holidays?"

Techno went quiet, starting to fiddle with his blanket, "Well, I actually don't know yet. It's expensive to fly out, especially during that time of year and-"

"So no Christmas with Techno?" He heard Tommy sniffle and it broke his heart. Techno grinned and had a stroke of genius.

"Nope, I'm sorry Tommy. We can call over Christmas and I'll buy you a really nice toy. I promise."

He heard silence on the other end, which hopefully meant his plan was going along swell, "Yeah I guess..."

Perfect.

"Ok, well I have to go. I'll talk to you guys tomorrow?"

He smiled as the three wished him goodnight and hung up. Time to begin his master plan.

Techno pulled together his excess savings and bought himself a ticket and a Santa outfit. He texted Dad about his plan, fly out Christmas morning, Dad would come to pick him up, and they'd drive back to the house to surprise his brothers.

When the day finally came, Techno was overjoyed. He'd kept up the act of disappointment throughout the call last night and he couldn't wait to see the look on his brother's faces when he got home.

When he got into Dad's car, he hadn't even had a chance to turn before he was pulled into a tight hug, "Dad- It's great to see you too but please hurry up so I can show those nerds up."

Phil just chuckled and started driving, taking note of the spark in Technos eyes. Phil smiled and started laughing once again.

"What? Why are you laughing?" Techno looked at him confused.

"Oh nothing, just thinking"

Techno hummed and as they got closer, he turned and grabbed the final piece. He threw it over his shoulders, only to draw more laughter from Phil.

Phil parked and got out first, "I'll go get them to come out. Stand at the door waiting," and off Phil went.

Techno followed a few seconds after but stopped at the door. He heard two pairs of footsteps run down the stairs and he couldn't help but smile.

"What lame present did Techno-" Tommy opened the door and stopped dead in his tracks, only to have Wilbur collide into him.

There Techno stood, a red coat with white, puffy fur lining the edges, "Merry Christmas, Nerds."

Fluff