Platonic Parents

Techno was carrying the picnic basket and blanket while following Niki, who was holding both Tubbo and Tommy's hands. The boys had run off multiple times, causing the pair to panic. After the fifth time, Niki tightly grabbed onto their hands and kept them on the path.

"Are we there yet?" Tommy complained loudly and groaned, "All this walking is boring and making me hungry."

"We would have been there by now if you two had stuck with us," Techno said as he caught up to walk alongside, rather than behind.

As both the boys started to justify why they ran off, Niki cut them off, "We're here!"

The spot she had picked was a covered clearing with a small creek running beside it. She let go of the boys' hands and took the blanket from Techno, laying it out on the grass. As the couple worked to unpack the picnic, the boys made their way to the creek.

"Boys, don't get wet. We'll kick you off the blanket if you do," Techno called out as they disappeared behind the bushes, and shook his head while Niki giggled.

The pair sat in comfortable silence, simply enjoying the quiet and the occasional splash from the creek. Techno laid down and watched the wind rustle through the trees, Niki laying down next to him a few minutes later.

"Tommy, are they flerting?" Tubbo's sudden voice scared both of them causing them to jump and Techno to sit up, slightly red.

"Definitely flirting," Tommy agreed as the pair joined the now flustered adults.

"I- We- No, this is, this is purely platonic," Techno was flustered mainly at the insinuation that he and Niki were a thing, and that his own son would imply it.

"Yes, we- we are not dating nor flirting. We're just friends," Niki nodded and looked a little pink herself.

"Right. Yeah, ok," Tommy rolled his eyes, "Just friends."

"Can we eat now?" Tubbo whined, "I'm hungry."

Niki nodded and she intentionally moved to place Tubbo between her and Techno. As the group ate, the boys quickly forgot about what had happened and started going on about their mini adventure to the creek.

Tommy and Tubbo popped up when they finished eating and started chasing each other around the clearing and then turned their attention to Techno, "Bet you can't catch us!" and the pair split off into the forest.

Techno immediately hopped up and ran after them, "I bet you I can!"

Niki laughed as he ran into the woods after them, and she started packing the remaining food into the basket until she heard a splash and some laughter. Standing up, she walked towards the laughter and found Techno sitting in the creek, soaked, and the boys laughing at him.

As Techno's eyes landed on her, she couldn't help but laugh along with the boys. She helped him out of the creek and the group made their way back to the blanket. Techno laid down in the direct sunlight to dry off faster while Tommy laughed at him as they sat on the blanket.

Tubbo gasped, "Niki! Your hair is coming undone! Can we braid it?"

Niki smiled and took her hair out of the bun, although most of it had already come out, "Sure, just don't tug too hard, ok?"

Tubbo's eyes lit up and he scooted closer, pulling Tommy along with him. Tommy grumbled a bit but eventually helped Tubbo. Tubbo got up while Tommy was finishing his braid and came back with wildflowers and started putting them into the braids. When they finished, they backed up and looked at their creation. Niki had her hair parted in the middle and had a braid on both sides of her face with pink, white, and purple flowers mixed in.

Tubbo shook the sleeping Techno awake, "Dad, Dad, look at how pretty Niki is!"

Techno groaned from the sudden awakening and rolled over and looked at Niki, "You two did great, go sit next to her so I can take a picture," he reached for his now dry phone.

Techno took the picture and looked at it while everyone crowded around to look as well. Tommy stuck his tongue out last minute and had bunny ears behind Tubbo's head, Niki was smiling and had her arms around each of them, and Tubbo was smiling and holding some of the extra flowers he had collected. Techno smiled and texted Niki the picture as well, before putting his phone away and helping to roll up the blanket.

As they headed back, Techno and Niki walked next to each other while the boys ran ahead and explored along the path.

Techno cleared his throat, "I uh, I just want to make it clear that I don't have any like, romantic feelings towards you or anything. I'm sure they were just joking earlier."

Niki nodded, "Totally. I agree. I think they were joking too, but I enjoyed today. You're lucky to have them in your life," she gave him a smile.

Techno looked at the boys and smiled, "Yeah, I guess I am."