Tea Thoughts

Techno woke up in a cold sweat, his heart pounding in his chest. He panicked and looked around, the room not being his own. He quickly got out of the bed and opened the door and relief flooded into him, realizing they were at Niki's house. Letting out a shaky sigh, he headed into her kitchen and started the kettle.

Niki woke up to the sound of a door softly closing and slipped out of bed. As she rounded the corner, she saw Techno slightly shaking as he waited for the water to boil, "Techno...?"

Techno jumped and turned around, "I- I'm sorry- did I wake you?"

Niki paused before shaking her head, "Why are you up? It's almost 4."

Techno watched her come closer and eventually stand next to him, "Bad dream."

She nodded and placed a hand on his arm, "Do you want to talk about it?"

Techno shook his head and jumped when the kettle clicked off before pouring the hot water into a mug, "Would you like tea as well? It always calms me down."

She nodded and went to grab a tea bag while he set down another mug and poured water in, "Do you always drink tea when you're stressed?"

"I used to drink or smoke to take off the edge, but Tubs found out and I forced myself to cut most of it. It's a recent habit I've picked up," he paused, "drinking tea I mean. It's recent. Not the smoking and getting drunk."

Niki gave him a smile and nodded, "I got it, don't worry."

"Sorry- I'm just... a little off right now," Techno blew on his tea before taking a sip, but it still burnt his tongue.

"It's ok, it's 4 am."

They stood in comfortable silence for a few minutes, sipping tea. Techno felt himself relax and Niki seemed to notice as well. She moved over and leaned against him, closing her eyes and listening to him breathe.

"We're friends, right?" Techno's voice dragged her out of her thoughts.

She moved away and looked at him, "Yeah, of course. Sorry, did I make you uncomfortable?"

Techno shook his head, "No it's fine. I'm just overthinking."

"Do you want to talk about it?" Niki picked up her mug and took a sip.

Techno looked down into his tea, "I didn't really have many friends other than my brothers, so I'm lacking... experience. Am... Am I a good friend?"

"Of course you're a good friend. Did something happen to make you think you're not?" Niki set down her mug and looked at him.

"I just- you do so much for Tubbo and I, but I feel like I don't ever do enough for you. It's just unfair to you," Techno sipped his tea before setting it down and looking at her.

Niki smiled and quietly laughed, "Techno, I don't need any acts of heroism from you. As long as you need me around, I'll be there. I enjoy your company and that's more than enough for me."

Techno quietly digested her words, "I see..."

Niki took his hand and led him to the couch, "How about we finish that movie?"

Techno nodded and they sat down, abandoning their tea. He felt Niki lean against him once again and a smile crept onto his face and he wrapped his arm around her.

Tubbo came in the next morning to find them asleep on the couch, Niki cuddling Techno and a Netflix drama playing.