Past and Present

"Aubrey!" I called. "Aubrey!"
Mom and dad were not at home. It was just me, her and Alex. I and  Alex went to the town and had just arrived.
The moment we reached home, I ran upstairs, straight to my sister's room, the chocolate bar we bought for her, clasped in my hand.
"Slow down, Audrey!" Alex called behind me. "You are gonna roll down those steps!" I turned around and threw him a mock salute, earning an eye roll from my brother.

To say that I was happy, would be an understatement. I was more than happy. Aubrey was happy. B had been always so caring and finally, Aubrey had started to love him. She had not confessed to him yet, but, I could see the love and adoration for him in her eyes whenever she talked about him. She stopped going to school after that bastard broke her. But, recently she started to go to school again. It was all thanks to B.

Instead of the usual gloominess and lifelessness in her eyes, these days, her eyes were full of life and joy. I was really happy for her. Really and truly happy.

"Aubrey!" I yelled as I flung open the door of her room. "Aub.."
The words were caught in my throat as my eyes took in the sight of Aubrey's room. It was just that morning, the two of us cleaned it together. Her night stand that stood in a corner, lay on its side instead of its four legs. The beautiful porcelain flowers vase lay on the ground, shattered in to pieces. The tulips and lilies were everywhere. The bed sheets and pillows were on the ground. Clothes were splattered everywhere. The window that was usually open, was closed and the whole room held a gloomy look.