f o r t y - t h r e e

(y/n pov)

"You asshole," you whispered, stepping aside and letting him in.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I got caught up--" he slipped off his shoes as you locked the door behind him. "Is she asleep already?"

"She was crying, Gray," you said with a pout. "She kept asking for you."

"Oh man," he sighed, following you up the stairs. "Well, I'll be here when she's up, righ--" He paused and you turned, his eyes on your hand on the banister.

"You--"

"Where's-- where's your ring?" You looked down at your bare hand and smiled.

"Mhm." You pushed open the door of your room as you got there and he followed, a frown on his face.

"Did you take it off?" You never took it off.

You knelt next to Elle on the bed. She was laying stomach first on Gray's pillow, her cheeks still wet with tears from crying.

You pried apart one of her balled fists and he chuckled softly, to see your ring locked carefully inside. "Awh," he cooed.

"She wanted to wear it," you whispered. He hummed. "She's so cute."

"She's got her own too," Gray whispered, pointing to her own ring on her other hand. Elle turned her head the other way as his finger grazed her knuckles. "Oh, I'm sorry," he whispered.

"She wants you to get her one." Gray looked up at you.

"Hm?"

"She wants you to get her a ring," you whispered. Gray grinned. "I told her it was you who got me that one so she wants one too."

"I'll have to get her a ring then," he said with a nod. He stood, stretching his arms. "Did you eat lunch?" You nodded.

"PB and J-- I made you one," you said with a sigh. "Should I go get--"

"Nah, let's go downstairs," he whispered. You stood back up and headed out, closing the door softly behind you.

"Here," you mumbled, passing the sandwich over. He smiled, heading to the fridge. "Are you going back after?" He shook his head.

"E can sort the rest out when he goes," he said, eating. "Is that the playdough?" he asked. You nodded.

You headed to the dining table to clean up the little mess you made with your niece. "She loved it," you said with a smile.

"Why's it red?"

"We added too much food colouring, I think," you said. Gray chuckled and you took the little bit of the sandwich he claimed he wouldn't eat. "It was --posed to be pink," you mumbled, chewing.

"When are they picking her up?" Gray asked. You looked up from dropping pieces of playdough into ziploc bags.

"I'm not sure but I told E that she can stay for as long as she needs." Gray nodded and drank his sugar-free Redbull, coughing into his elbow. "You okay?"

"You got me sick," he said with a pout. You rolled your eyes and sighed, closing the bag. He began to lean in to kiss you before you interrupted him.

"Maybe we should check on Elle," you said with a nod, turning on your heel. He laughed.

"Are you kidding me, y/n--"

"Shh," you hushed him. He rolled his eyes, heading to the kitchen as you headed up, walking back into your room. She was still curled up in the centre of the bed as you sat down next to her, pushing her hair from her eyes.