f i f t y - f o u r

an// surprise! i decided to post it early since you've all been waiting so patiently <3 i love you all so much and thank you thank you thank you for 25k reads xx 

(y/n pov)

Gray drove around for a bit, in anger. And then he stopped, knowing he was going to hit something. So he ended up parking on the side of the road and walked right up to E's doorstep.

"Hey Gray, what's u-- are you cry--"

"Is Elle asleep yet?" E/W frowned, looking back for a second.

"No, not yet, why?" He rubbed at his eye as E came up behind her, half a quesadilla in his mouth. "Everything okay, Gr--"

"Dude, you goo--"

"Can I take Elle for a walk?" he asked. "Please?" Ethan turned back too,  watching his daughter run to the door to see what all the noise was about.

"Gray, you okay?" E/W asked again. Gray wiped at his eyes as Elle stared up at him.

"Hi, uncle Gray," she said with a giggle. "Playdate today?"

"Nah, not today," he said with a small smile. He looked back up at e/w and she nodded. "But we're gonna go on a walk-- is that okay?"

"Walk?" Elle asked, gasping. E/W headed in to get her jacket. "Nighttime, Gray!"

"I know, we'll be su-- super quick, yeah?" She clapped and E/W handed Ethan Elle's jacket. E crouched down, quesadilla lodged between his teeth as he got her coat on, right over her PJs.

"Bedtime's soon so she might get a little tired," E/W warned. Gray nodded.

"We'll be quick," he whispered, scooping her up once she was zipped into her windbreaker. "Rea-ready to go?"

"Gray 'kay?" she asked, wiping at his wet cheeks. "Okie dokie?"

"All good, pumpkin." Ethan frowned as Gray headed down the steps. "You wanna walk or should I carry you?"

"Carry?" she asked with a giggle. "So tall."

"Hey," Ethan called after them, barefoot as he stepped onto his porch. "You're good, right?" Gray nodded.

"I will be, yeah." They looked at each other for a moment before E nodded, heading back into the house with his wife.

Elle and Gray walked down the street slowly as she wrapped an arm around his neck. "Moon, Gray!" she exclaimed, pointing at it. He chuckled a little.

"Yeah, huh, 's the moon?" She nodded and patted his shoulder. "It's really pretty."

"Uh huh," she agreed. Gray let a few tears slip again and was quick to wipe at his face with his sleeve. "Gray?" she asked in some time.

"Hm?"

"Y/NN come too?" Gray looked over at her. "Y/NN gotta walk?"

"Nah, she's home," he explained. "Maybe she's sleeping." Elle nodded.

"'Most bedtime for baby," she said. Gray's eyes shut for a second and he stopped walking. "Stop now?" Elle asked, looking around.

"No, no," he whispered, starting up again. "Hey, Elle?"

"I'm Elle."

"Yes you are," he whispered, zipping up the rest of her coat. "I think the baby's gone, pumpkin." She frowned, pulling a face at him.

"Gone?" she asked, eyebrows bunched up. Oh, her cute little eyebrows. "Gone where?"

"I don't know," he whispered, tears starting up again. She turned and hugged his neck, patting his head reassuringly.