s i x t y - f o u r

(y/n pov)

You frowned as you answered the call in your car. "Hey."

"Hey, where you at?"

"Still in fricking traffic," you mumbled. Gray chuckled. "What happened-- is everything okay?"

"He's perfectly healthy." You almost slammed the breaks and you were lucky it was a red light anyway.

"She-- he's born?" Gray hummed and you grinned. "Gray!"

"I know-- I-- got to be there," he said. "Since E and Elle didn't make it in time, I got to like, be in the room and everything." Your jaw dropped, still smiling, as you drove.

"Gray--"

"I know, I like, cut the, what's it called, the cord and it was so-- it was so beautiful, y/n, like--"

"Oh gosh," you sighed. "She gave birth." Gray sighed on his end and you smiled, hands gripping the wheel. "I can't believe I missed it."

"It's okay," he said. "How far are you?" You sighed, checking your phone for the directions.

"Not far-- it's just hard to drive in the rain." He hummed and heard his own windshield wipers go off. You frowned, eyebrows raising.

"You in the car too?"

"Uh--"

"You should be in the hospital with her!"

"E came," he told you. "He came then but they didn't let me out and him in so I did it." You nodded, stomach fluttering with butterflies. You couldn't wait to tell him. "It was so, holy shit-- he's so tiny too, like--"

"So is E with them now?" you asked. "Elle too?"

"Yeah, they came in and I-- mhm." You frowned.

"Why'd you leave?" you exclaimed. "Where are you going that's so important that you had to leave a teeny newborn baby--"

"I'm getting-- uh, clothes for e/w." You sighed.

"Okay, that makes more sense." You chuckled. "Oh, gosh, Gray, a baby!"

"Are you going straight to the hospital?" You hummed, taking a left turn.

"Almost there," you sighed. "How far are you from--" you cut yourself off as you paused a stop sign. Looking directly at the car in front of you, your eyebrows raised. You watched Gray lean in to look at you and his eyes widened before he laughed. It was cool to see him laugh, but hear it through the phone.

"What the heck?"

"Where are you going?" you asked as you both waited at the stop sign, longer than you had to, just staring at each other. He looked away from you, still smiling. You could barely see him with the rain pouring but you watched as he pushed his hair out of his face. "This is not the direction of our home, Gray."

"Okay, maybe I'm not going to get her clothes," he said. You were lucky there weren't any cars around. You rolled your eyes as you smiled at him. You wanted to pull over and tell him right there and then, but no. You could wait.

He'd probably complain about his hair getting wet anyway.

"So where are you going?"

"Why so nosy?" he asked. It was then that a car pulled up behind Gray, honking the horn, asking him to keep driving. Grayson rolled his eyes and you watched as he drove past you, a hand up to wave.

"Gray!" you laughed, driving in the opposite direction to the hospital.

"Just trust me," he sighed. "Now, pay attention to the road and get there safe please." You sighed, smiling and shaking your head.