|39| A night never to forget - Part I

NIGHT:

/nʌɪt/

noun:
Night or nighttime is the period of ambient darkness from sunset to sunrise during each 24-hour day, when the Sun is below the horizon. The exact time when night begins and ends depends on the location.

Garfield Prep is a beautiful school. I mean it is a school for the privileged but I have never seen the place look as breathtaking as it did at this very moment. Everywhere fairy lights were placed and a row of little candles were carefully placed on the staircase that led to the ballroom. Yes we had a ballroom. Everyone was dressed to kill, teenagers giggling and anticipating to have a great time, with arms linked to one another as they helped each other up the stairs.

We had a few hired catering waiters who patiently waited outside offering everyone sparkling champagne as we entered. Nothing prepared me for what I saw the moment I walked in the ballroom. Gold lights dangling from the sky with a few stars hanging above us, there was soft music playing, it seemed they had managed to hire a live band and the lead singer was currently singing thinking out loud by Ed Sheeran. It looked like I just walked in the fresh pages of a fairytale book, is this what I had been missing out all these years? I looked at the girl who was the lead singer and I envied her, I wondered if I could ever gain the courage to sing in front of a crowd like that. I had no idea what I wanted to be after high school hell I hadn't even begun applying to colleges yet but I have always wanted something to do music or something like that I wasn't quite sure yet. But with my stage fright I didn't know if I could ever.

"Sick.........." Jazz expressed as she looked around looking just as mesmerized as I did.

"So worth coming." Kate agreed.

All eyes were on us as soon as we set foot inside the ballroom. For some reason I thought there had been someone behind us but it seemed people were just looking at us. I wasn't surprised the girls out did themselves and I too would have been gawking like an idiot if I was watching from the sidelines.

"Isn't she just rocking that cinder-fucking-rella look?" I heard someone say as I passed by them. It made me smile as I received a few compliments as I passed through a few people.

"Told you, that you were gonna put all of us to shame." Mia said as she gently nudged me.

We decided to check out our table. We had waiters walking around offering finger foods to the students, a little over the top but what's Garfield without being glamorous. I scanned the room just to look for him. I know I shouldn't be but I hadn't seen him in weeks and I was kind of hoping he would show up, I had nothing to say to him but knowing he was ok was all I needed to know. With disappointment sinking in, I just decided to shake it off. I was here to have fun with my friends and that's what I'm going to do.

After a few auction rounds people were currently scattered all over the dance floor with glasses of non alcoholic champagne but I was almost certain that the students had already spiked their drinks with the real stuff. Because that's what just teens do and a few students were now acting a bit too animalistic for an event such as this. All in all it was great the music got better by the second and only vacation homes had been auctioned out for weekends for far, apparently the bigger stuff came at the end. But I think what made this even better was that Brooke wasn't anywhere on site or anyone in her posey for that matter.

Mia and Vic where currently on the dance floor and they seemed to have company as two cute guys had just approached them, Kate had gone to the bathroom I think or something like that she had to be somewhere here. Jazz was seated right in front at our table having a debate with Thomas (co-captain of the debate team with Jazz) on how some of the littlest things that guys say lead to the increasingly alarming rate of misogynistic behavior in teen boys. The debate was interesting I'm sure but it wasn't just something I had much to say on, so I let my eyes wonder as I rubbed my arms with my hands awkwardly, whilst looking at other students. I guess my social battery was now running very low, as someone who doesn't like partying a lot I feel out of place at huge events at times. Don't get me wrong it was a lovely event and I was truly enjoying myself but I don't know. So I decided to stand up and get myself a drink off of one of the waiters' trays after bumping into a few dancing bodies. I finally found a tray with drinks.