I promise... Dead!Horizon x Reader

Warning: The story will be sad for the majority of it!

Your POV

I still remember her final words to me.

I promise...

Why did it have to be her? Why did she have to be chosen for that mission?!

Flashback

"Please don't go!" I begged Mary. "I love you!"

"There is no need to worry, love! I will come back!" She responded.

"But what if you don't? I will miss you so much..." I cried.

Horizon lifted up my chin and looked into my eyes, "Darlin,"

She took a deep breath,
"I promise..."

End of flashback

"Well, you never came back!" I sat down, looking at her grave. "Not alive, at least..." I whispered to myself.

We didn't even bury her. The body was never discovered, so I took it upon myself to bury my wedding ring.

My love. My life. My wife. She is gone, and will never come back.

Why can't she respawn? Because this happened to be the first time respawning has ever failed!

"We were going to live the rest of our lives together!" I yelled to the grave and to myself. "We were going to adopt kids, grow old, and die together!"

Why her?

I imagined Mary still alive, sitting right next to me, telling me a story about how she saved her home planet. I gave a sad smile, as tears ran down my face.

Suddenly I remembered that Horizon gave me a note. She said to only read it if something terrible happened to her. I pulled the note out of my pocket and began reading. It said:

          Dear (Y/N),

If you are reading this, then I have most likely passed away or have not returned.

(Y/N), I love you. I wanted to live the rest of my bloody years with you. I married you out of love.

I may not be around to say this, but I always keep my promises.

Remember how I promised to come back? I will. It may seem impossible, but after much research, I have learned that after death...well, that should stay one of life's internal secrets, but don't begin thinking that I broke my promise.

You will see me again, I promise.

                                                          From your love, Mary

I don't understand. How can I see her again? What can SHE do?

Mary must be trying to tell me something...

Timeskip 7 hours

With the time being 10:00, I should be sleeping. Soon after I prepare myself for sleep by completing all of the essentials, I lie in bed and drift off.

In dream

I open my eyes. As I stand up, I see Mary.

"Hello, (Y/N)." She said.

I begin to cry tears of joy. "Mary!" I hug her. "How are you here? I missed you so much!"

Horizon chuckles at my excitement, and says, "I missed you too." She smiles before explaining, "This is what I was talking about in the letter. After death, spirits can enter a loved one's dreams. Most of them don't know how to do this, though, but I had a promise to keep!"

I smile back, "Thank you. I am so glad you kept your promise!"

"You're quite wel-" Horizon is cut off, and I wake up.

"Huh?" I interject. I looked at the clock to see the time is 9:00am.

Well, at least I know how to see her again...I am happy knowing she kept this promise...