Introduction

A/N: This first chapter is not mandatory, but I still recommend reading it to learn about the MC's backstory and the hours leading up to when she shifts realities. I understand that a lot of you won't find this chapter that interesting since the MC is still in her CR, so I won't be offended if you skip it. You can expect her to shift at the end of the next chapter!

Dinner

"Bella, phones away at the dinner table," my step-mother, Leah Maxwell, says in a firm tone she reserves for lecturing me on a daily basis.

I look to my right at my 12 year old brother, Sebastian, who's angrily playing on his DS rather than eating his food.

"What, so Seb can play video games all he wants but I can't send one text message?" I retort, maintaining eye contact with her piercing blue ones that squint at my tone.

"Attitude young lady. You're supposed to be the one setting an example. The only reason he's on that gadget is because he picked up those habits from you."

Typical Leah, blaming me for anything and everything that goes wrong in this family.

"Oh, so I suppose you're going to blame me for his awful grades as well, or his blatant disrespect towards you and dad. Which, for the record, you don't even bat an eye at, but when I raise my voice just the slightest bit you-"

"That is enough. You will not speak to your mother this way. I'm tired of your attitude. Give me your phone and go upstairs to your room. You're done with dinner," my father, Jason Maxwell, interrupts me in a scolding voice.

HA. Leah? My mother? Those two words shouldn't even be in the same sentence. I think I'd just emancipate myself if that witch was my mother.

"First of all she is NOT my mother. Secondly, I can't really say I'm surprised you won't even listen to what I have to say. You always are so quick to give this little gold digger whatever she-"

"DAMNIT YOU STUPID MOTHERF-" Sebastian yells as he throws his DS straight down into our tiled kitchen floor.

Shards of glass from the DS screen instantly scatter everywhere in sight, the rest of the device laying mangled in one small, unrecognizable, object.

"Oh my goodness, for heavens sake Sebastian, look at what you did!" Leah says in an exasperated, high pitched voice.

"Damnit Sebastian. What have I told you about getting angry with your games? You're going to have to buy yourself a new one because I'm done replacing these for you," my dad says in an irritated voice.

"Sorry, it won't happen again."

Leah pulls him into a gentle hug and rubs his back softly. I hold back the urge to tell her how her internalized misogyny is showing.

Seriously though, getting mad at me for texting my friends, but not giving two shits if my brother destroys his device and makes a huge mess. Honestly, if I did that, I'm certain all hell would break loose.

"Ah, it's okay, it happens. I guess I could stop by the electronic store after work tomorrow and pick up a cheap replacement for the meantime while you're finding a way to make up some money." My dad smiles.

I instantly burst out hysterically laughing.

"Wow, you guys really do have a favorite child! I mean, I of course already knew this, but this is just such a perfect example of what I've been trying to say all along!" I manage to say in between laughs.

I'm always telling them how evidently they favor my brother. Don't get me wrong, I love Seb, we're pretty close and I obviously want him to be treated well, but the fact that they never get him in trouble for anything and constantly baby him, but when I just raise my voice, even the slightest bit, they throw a hissy fit.

"Isabella Maxwell, I will be taking your phone right now and you can go to your room. Don't bother coming out until tomorrow when you are ready to have some respect!" my dad yells.

I toss my phone to him and then stand up, putting my crumpled napkin into my plate of untouched pasta, and then scooting my chair in.

I look him dead in the eyes.

"I wonder how mom would feel if she knew that after she died you started treating me like shit, all because I remind you too much of her."

All conversation between Sebastian and Leah immediately shuts off. The room goes dead silent as everyone hangs onto that sentence.

"Oh, and Leah?" I turn to her. "Next time you try to act like you're my mother, why don't you kiss my ass while you're at it, because guess what?" I chide.
"You will never be more than a filthy gold digger to me," I say in a low voice.

Her jaw drops practically all the way to the floor. Definitely a sight worth seeing.

"Ciao!" I gracefully skip away from the table, and up to my room.

Damn. That felt good.

-
A/N: Disclaimer: Their will be spice in this story, but it's MAJOR slow burn with that. You'll regret skipping chapters though. I promise it's worth it.

Hey guys, thank you so much for checking out my story! Please vote for it or add it to your library if you like it because it helps the story more noticed! Also feel free to leave feedback in the comments!