29 - Stages of Grief

Taehyung stirred in his sleep when he heard a small whimper from beside him

Taehyung stirred in his sleep when he heard a small whimper from beside him. His shoulder was tense and a bit sore from the weight that rested on it, but he didn't care too much for the pain since he only had one concern on his mind right now. He tried to stay still, slowly craning his head in order to get a better glimpse of his best friend as he felt Jimin start to shake next to him.

Taehyung felt that familiar ache settling in his chest, the same ache that he felt last night when he followed Jimin to the medbay.

His worried gaze had focused on his best friend as Jin worked on cleaning up his wounds, observing Jimin's blank stare as he looked at the floor. Taehyung could barely recognize the broken man sitting in front of him.

It was silent in that room since neither Jin nor Taehyung knew what to say. Both of them were still trying to process the news themselves, still in shock over the loss to their family. When Jin was finished wrapping up Jimin's shoulder, he rested his hand on Jimin's knee, squeezing it slightly in comfort while Jimin bowed his head as the tears started to fall once more.

Taehyung immediately stepped forward, eyes momentarily meeting Jin's before he wrapped an arm around Jimin's waist, helping his friend up as he led him back up to their room.

It had been hours before either of them had fallen asleep. Jimin's body shook, wracked with grief as broken sobs escaped from his lips. Taehyung had led him to his bed, occupying the spot next to him as Jimin wrapped his arms around his best friend, tightly clutching him as he was tormented with his loss.

Taehyung harshly swallowed the lump in his throat, his own eyes welling up as he tightly held Jimin in his arms, gently patting his back as he tried to comfort his best friend while trying not to fall apart himself.

Taehyung could feel the tears streaming down his own face, trying to make sense of what went wrong last night but turned his attention towards Jimin when he heard him muttering in his sleep. At first he couldn't discern what he was saying, but his voice grew louder, growing more panicked as he kept repeating the same word over and over again.

"NO, NO!" Jimin screamed, causing Taehyung to respond quickly as he desperately tried to shake him awake, an attempt to pull him out of the nightmare that was haunting him.

Jimin jolted slightly as he felt someone tugging his body, eyes already welled up with tears as his somber gaze met his best friend's, who also had a similar expression on his face.

"Fuck," Jimin croaked out, pulling away from Taehyung as his head fell into his hands, his fingers slipping through the strands of his hair before he started tugging at it. "FUCK!" he screamed, fisting his hands around the material of his shirt as he tried to pull it off of him, feeling like he was suffocating as the scenes from last night invaded his memory, scenes that he wished he could've permanently erased from his mind.

Taehyung felt the tears streaming down his face as he watched his friend break down, feeling the agony that Jimin felt as he listened to the screams and sobs that left his lips. Taehyung immediately shifted closer to Jimin on the bed, wrapping his arms around his best friend as he held onto him tightly, trying his best to let him know that he was there for him.