Chapter 4

Cole's POV

"Thankful for everything that you do for me, Cole."

Did he just call me Cole for the first time?

Did my heart just flutter after hearing him call my name?

It can't react like this. It shouldn't react like this. Kai is like my younger brother.

I just patted his head.

"You are welcome, piglet."

"That again. Stop calling me piglet, sir. I am not even chubby."

"Good night."

I just rushed inside my room. The hell is wrong with me.

After that night, I've been trying to avoid Kai. I stopped jogging for a week and I would receive his whining on text asking me why I didn't inform him.

I told him that I'll stop running for now and he should continue training before his physical endurance exam.

I've been thinking lately why my heart reacted like that upon hearing him call my name. It's not like I am in love with him. He is just turning 16 and this can't be.

"Sir, it's boring to run without your nagging." My phone vibrated and his name appears on the screen.

"Just focus, Kai."
This is my last reply to him. I ignored some of his texts too. It's not my responsibility to reply to his messages and to listen to his whining.

"Sir, will you run again?"

"Are you busy?"

"Are you not feeling well?"

"I can't check on you in your room but I left a bottle of strawberry milk on the stairs. Get it before someone tripped over  the bottle."
Why is this kid disturbing me? I checked the stairs and saw the bottle on the floor.

"Got you." He was sitting on the stairs. He rushed into me and grabbed my arm and pulled me to step on the stairs. He knows he can't step a single foot on the third floor.

He put his palm on my forehead and the other one on his. "You don't have a fever but why are you not going out? Aren't you bored inside your room? You always go straight there every after school."

"Stop being nosy and just go."

"But I want to..."

"Kai, just go. Stop acting like we are that close because we are not. Behave properly. Act like how others acted in front of me. If you want to be a guard then stop acting like my friend and just focus on working harder so you can be like other Elites. That's your purpose here, right? To protect this place and not to befriend your boss."

I know it sounded harsh but I realized that I am becoming attached to him and it's not normal. There are other young trainees here too with the same age as him but I never throw a glance at them. It would be unfair to befriend him and ignore the others.

"Sir Cole...  I thought..."

"You thought what? I just acted kindly to you before because you look like a fragile kid but now that you are grown up you should know how to protect yourself and stop depending on me."
I handed him the strawberry milk. "Don't bring milk here again. You'll cause an accident with our family. What if my mom and dad didn't notice that? Always a troublemaker."

Oh fuck. I am too much I know. It sucks to see him like this but I can't stop myself from speaking it out.

"Sorry sir and everything is noted." He turned his back against me and ran as fast as he can.