Wounds That Don't Heal

Chloe's Backyard - 07:07 pm

Max's P.O.V

Max: - I don't know, sometimes I feel like it was just yesterday that we were here playing pirates in your backyard.

Chloe: - Dude, I would give anything to have my sweet childhood back... We were so happy together, we had no problems, we didn't care about anything! All we wanted was to travel the world with our adventurous pirate spirit, and no matter what, we would always be together.

Max: - We were an incredible team... - I said as I swayed slowly. - The best pirates in town, for sure.

Then Chloe looked at every corner of the yard.

Chloe: - These swings we used to pretend were a ship, this seesaw that we pretended to be our rowing boat, this huge backyard... Even the attic you were scared to death of! We pretended it was the inside of our ship!

Max: - Yeah, I remember the scares you gave me in that scary attic...

After she said that, Chloe straightened up on the swing and looked down sadly.

Chloe: - When my dad played with us...

Upon hearing that, I remained silent and gave Chloe time to recover. So I thought it would be better to change the subject.

Max: - What a good time, right?

Chloe: - The best time of my life. Even today I remember us, after playing, sitting here on this swing looking at the stars while trying to imagine what we would be like in the future.

Max: - Who knew you would end up like that, huh?

Chloe: - If I knew it would all end this way, I wouldn't even be here anymore.

Max's thought: Damn... That was rough. I shouldn't have said that.

Chloe: - Let's... - She said with a pause. - Let's just not talk about it... Ok, Max?

Max: - Of course... Ok, Chloe.

Josh's P.O.V

As soon as I saw Max and Chloe on the swings, I sat down in front of the glass door and watched the stars. Rachel, seeing me sitting, crouched down and sat next to me.

After that, we spent time admiring the stars while a cold wind kissed our faces.

Rachel: - Josh?

Josh: - Huh?

Rachel: - Do you believe this is real?

Josh: - What?

Rachel: - All of that. - She said while pointing her hand around the place. - What if we're just having one more of those weird dreams? That we are just lying in our beds in that huge camp, imagining all of this right now?

After Rachel asked me that question, I didn't answer for a while while I looked up and took advantage of the breeze that hit my face.

Josh: - To tell the truth, I don't even know what is real anymore. I have no idea if all of this really happened or if it's just a good dream that suddenly ends.

While Rachel watched the stars, the wind passed through her long golden hair and it was slowly taken with it, as well as her blue feather earring.

Rachel: - I just wanted to know if this is real...

Josh: - Well... Looks like now you'll have to figure this out yourself.

Rachel: - What did you mean by that?