Dinosaurs fell in love

A/N: inspired by a really sad tiktok

     "Can we make a song Mommy?"

  You looked down at your four-year-old daughter and couldn't help but chuckle at the hope and excitement in those bright green orbs. They reminded you so much of Natasha's.

  "Of course baby," leaning down you scooped her up before placing her on your lap so that her back was against your stomach. "What do you want the song to be about?"

    "Dinosaurs!" The little girl exclaimed in excitement. Her hands shot up, landing on the piano in front of you and striking a few unpleasant chords.

    Laughing you gently took her small hands and placed them in her lap. "Why don't you let Mommy play while you sing baby?" The little girl nodded her H/C hair vigorously with a wide smile.

    You positioned your hands and began to play a soft melody, completely improvising. Your daughter sat in silence for a moment before she opened her mouth and began to sing.

  "Dinosaurs eating people, Dinosaurs in love."

    A warm smile found its way on your face and you found yourself swaying side to side a bit to the melody.

"Dinosaurs having a party, they eat fruit and cucumber."

  A soft chuckle rumbled in your chest while you looked down at her. She looked up at you with a wide smile.

"They fell in love."

   Raising a playful eyebrow you tilted your head. "Then what did they do?"

  "They say thank you."

   The innocence and randomness of it all squeezed your heart with an almost painful amount of joy. You continued to play waiting to hear what other ideas her little imagination could come up with.

   You wouldn't be entirely surprised if they somehow found themselves on a spaceship.

   "A Big Bang came a-and they died."

  Your smile faltered a bit at her words, your eyebrows drawing together in confusion. Your hands slowed a bit on the keys yet as if they had a mind of their own, continued to play as if they themselves wanted to hear what happened next.

  "Dinosaurs Dinosaurs fell in love but they didn't say goodbye."

  A pang of sadness hit you deep in your heart. You couldn't wrap your head around how fast this small upbeat song about two in love dinosaurs had taken such a dark turn so suddenly, nor did you have time.

  "But they didn't say good...bye."

  Almost numbly, you played the last few notes before letting your hands rest beside you. Slowly you looked down at the child in your lap who was also looking down, her hands seemingly beyond fascinating.

  "Aria..." Your voice was shakier than you would have liked it to be but it was too late now. When the little girl didn't look up at you—you gently picked her up and turned her around so that she was facing you.

   Hooking your finger under her chin you lifted her chin so that she would look at you. The sadness you found in her eyes that were oh so bright and happy just a minute ago was enough to bring you to your knees.

    Gulping down the lump in your throat you took a deep breath. "Why did the dinosaurs have to die?" The little girl blinked a few times, tears welling in her small eyes.

   "Because Mama did."

   Your eyes slipped shut as her words stabbed your heart and shredded it into a million pieces. "Baby I-"

  "And she didn't say goodbye."

   Your words died right there in your throat and your eyes snapped open. Aria's voice had been watery with her last statement and not a second later she burst into tears. You instantly pulled the little girl into a tight hug to which she flung her arms around your neck and sobbed into it.

   Your fingers tangled themselves in your daughter's hair as tears of your own began to fall freely. "I-I miss Mama." The young girl sobbed harder.

  All you could do was hold her tighter and nod. "I know baby. I know, I do too, and I'm so sorry."