A Rookie Mistake

"Y/N...Y/N come in..."

    The static of your coms sounded off in your ear. You found it hard to blink let alone move. Looking around your eyes slowly focused on the dim light around you. There was fire or at least, you could hear and smell fire.

  "Y/N...-re you...hello?"

   Despite the brokenness of the words and the horrid static that did nothing for the pounding in your head, you could make out how panicked the voice was becoming.

  "Please be okay..."

—————————

   You and Natasha had been tasked to investigate what should have been an abandoned HYDRA weapons stash. Admittedly you went into it far too cocky.

"How about this, you take one side, I take the other. Divide and conquer," you looked up at Natasha and winked. "A little friendly competition never hurt anyone."

You were so naive.

  You should have listened to Natasha. Ever the careful and caring girlfriend, she was apprehensive about approaching it this way.

"I don't know Y/N, we're going into this virtually blind, I think it would be best if we stuck together on this one." Frowning slightly you scoffed. "Oh come on Tasha, I'm not going to bum rush it. Besides you and I both I'm no rookie, we've done these hundreds of times."

  Yet that's exactly what got you into this situation. A stupid rookie mistake.

  When you arrived at the facility you had your guard up as usual, as you said you wouldn't go in there all willy nilly. You were a professional and thus would get this done as fast and as professionally as possible.

  "See you at 10." You beamed before pressing a quick kiss to Natasha's lips and disappearing down the hallway you had designated for yourself.

  Really there were multiple factors that went into where you went wrong. You should have studied the blueprints better. You should have watched your surroundings more carefully. You should have went in with a more serious attitude. Most of all, you should have listened to Natasha.

   You hadn't seen the motion sensors that set off the few hidden charges that your SHIELD intel didn't warn you about. By the time you could even think to get to safety it was too late.

  Natasha felt her heart completely drop at the sound of the blast on your side. Her first instinct was to rush to you but she knew she would be absolutely no help to you if she became trapped along side you, so instead she raced out of the now burning building.

  "Maria? Maria come in I need immediate evac and medical. There was an explosion and Y/N's still in there."

"It's already on its way, 10 minutes out."

Natasha wanted to be able to breathe easy knowing help was on the way but as of now, she had no idea if you were even alive. "Y/N, come in. Come in, Y/N. Y/N, come in."

  The silence she received as a response was deafening. "Y/N come in. Y/N are you there? Hello?" Tears pricked her eyes at the lack of response. "Please be okay." She whispered brokenly.

   "Glad to see you haven't given up on me yet, Romanoff."

    A loud sob escaped Natasha at the very sound of your voice. "Oh thank God your alive." A gruff chuckle came through her coms. "I wouldn't celebrate just yet Tash...I'm not gonna make it out of here."

   Her red curls shook viscously. "No...no don't say that, you cannot talk like that, you hear me? Help is on the way. You're going to be fine." Truthfully she was saying the words to reassure herself more than anything. "They're going to get you out."

  "Baby, I'm pinned. I can barely move my head let alone move my body. Hell, every breath I take feels like I've been made into a child's rattle."

  A humorless laugh left you which was quickly followed by your horrible hacking and couching. Natasha's heart ached at the sound of your pain. She wished it had been her, she wished she would have forced you to listen to her in the first place and stuck with her. She wished she had been the one to take your hallway.

  "I can hear your thoughts from here, my love." Your voice was growing fainter by the second. "You cannot blame yourself for this Natasha. I brought this upon myself."

    You could feel your eyes growing heavier by the moment. There was no point in fighting it now, you had fucked up for the last time. "Natasha?"

  There was a beat of silence before she found her voice again. "Y-yes?" Her heart was pounding as she waited for your voice to come back. Each second felt like a painstaking hour.

   "I...I love you..." a pause. "And I'm sorry."

   "I love you too, Y/N. I always will." She waited for you to say something, anything else. But it never came. "Y/N?" Silence is all that met her. "Y/N? Baby please, please no." Still no response. "Please don't leave me." She whispered brokenly before collapsing to the ground in a pile of her own grief.

   And that's where the rescue team found Natasha, only two minutes after you had breathed your last.