Hymn for the missing

A/N: Nat x sister!reader per request on Tumblr.

Tried to walk together
But the night was growing dark

Gleeful laughter filled the cold winter air as you smoothed out the snow on your new inanimate friend. "Там! (There!)" You exclaimed happily sending your older sister a bright smile.

  Natalia returned your excitement in-kind took your hand before stepping back with you to admire your hard work. The snowman wasn't perfect by any means but he had a large smile, a scarf, hat, buttons, and a carrot nose. On top of all that you two had made him together which was plenty enough for the two of you.

   "Он удивительный (He's amazing)." Natalia breathed softly before looking down at you. The 7-year-old squeezed your gloved hand and opened her mouth to speak before her head whipped around to the call of your mother.

Thought you were beside me
But I reached and you were gone

"Наталья! Y/N! Заходи!(Natalia! Y/N! Come in!)" You looked up to the girl who was two years your senior before saying goodbye to your snowman and allowing her to lead you inside.

   Later that night long after your mother had put the two of you to sleep you were jolted awake by the sound of a loud bang. Disoriented by the rude awakening you sat up in your bed and began to rub your eyes. "Ната-" you were cut off by a soft "Shhh."

   Blinking the sleep away you looked to see your sister standing beside your bed with wide eyes. You looked into her eyes and instantly registered the fear in them. You wanted to ask what was wrong the singular finger she held to her lips kept you quiet.

Sometimes I hear you calling
From some lost and distant shore

  "Подписывайтесь на меня. (Follow me.)" she whispered to you before taking your hand and pulling you out of bed. She led you over to the closet as the noises from just down the hall grew louder. A woman's scream caused your head to snap to the door, tears welling in your eyes.

   Natalia quickly picked you up and opened the closet door. She set you inside and gently wiped your tears away. "На выходи, пока не взойдёт солнце. (Don't come out until the sun rises.)" she said softly before getting up and rushing away. She came back a moment later with her favorite teddy bear. She looked down at the toy and hugged it tight to her chest before looking at your small petrified form.

   She handed you the bear before leaning in and pressing a kiss to your forehead. "Ты должен молчать.(You must be silent.)" The noises of heavy footsteps were growing ever closer. Tears were streaming down your face by now although you were doing your best to do as your sister asked and remained quiet.

I hear you crying softly
For the way it was before

   Natalia smiled sadly and stood up before closing the closet door and stepping back. You were plunged into darkness with nothing but a teddy bear to make you feel safe.

    Suddenly the door to your shared bedroom flung open and slammed against a nearby wall. The angry words of men flooded your ears as well as your sister's cry of pain and fear. You wanted to call out to her, to run to her and see if everything was alright but you did as she asked and remained hidden.

    You could hear the men leave the room barking orders at each other as they went. Soon their voices died out and the sound of a car driving into the distance could be heard.