A bitter Goodbye

A/N: Ion know, angst?

    Sipping your champagne glass you scanned over the large crowd. Tony was hosting a more formal party for potential investors to come and gawk at the Avengers. It truly was a sad sight to see. A bunch of old men ogling "earth's mightiest heroes" as if they themselves were somehow just as important or strong.

    You yourself were no longer apart of the Avengers and thus you were a bit more ticked off that you had to show up. Fury said, no, ordered you to come tonight to keep of appearances.

He was a prick.

   He knew full well why you had asked for a transfer out of the Avengers and yet he made you still show up. Honestly, at this point, he was just being cruel.

"Lady Y/N!" Came Thor's booming voice as he approached you, arms wide open. You couldn't help the small smile that cracked through your cold façade as you turned to greet him. "Hey, there big guy."

  He wrapped his strong arms around you and pulled you in with a loud chuckle. You returned the hug with a soft breath, that was one thing you had always missed about being an Avenger, Thor gave the best hugs. 

  "It's good to see you, my friend." He said in a slightly softer tone. You returned his warmth and nodded. "It's good to see you to Thor. I see things don't very well change around here."

  You had been gone for nearly a year at this point and it surprised you that everything had remained exactly the same. If you didn't know any better, you would think they had even left your old room completely untouched. 

  "No...people do not either." His tone was uncharacteristically soft causing you to pause and frown slightly. You knew all too well what he meant by that.

"So the happy couple isn't so happy after all." You said bitterly.

"No one has been since you've left, Lady Y/N."

   His voice was barely above a whisper now causing you to meet his eyes. He had a small sad smile on his face along with a sad gleam in his eye.

  You nodded taking a deep breath before placing your hand on his shoulder and giving it a slight squeeze. "It was good seeing you big guy." With that, you excused yourself and moved through the crowd to the bar.

  You needed something stronger and you had only been here 30 minutes. Finishing the rest of your champagne you ordered a whiskey from the bartender before taking a seat.

  You didn't lift your head to the person who had joined you as they sat next to you. Raising your fingers to signal to the bartender you called. "And a Moscow mule, for the lady."

  He nodded and got to work on your drinks. You didn't acknowledge her until both of you had your drinks in hand. Taking a sip you sighed at the feeling of the familiar burn before looking dead ahead that the versions liquors that line the wall behind the bar. 

  "Natasha." You greeted softly as your eyes flicked down to your glass.

  "Y/N."

   There was a beat of silence before you raised your glass to your lips. "You look nice." You took a small sip of the drink, resisting the urge to fully down it. "You haven't looked at me all night." She commented, the tinge of sadness in her tone not escaping you.

   "You always look nice." Your eyes flicked to her and of course, you were right. Her make up was done perfectly, the red form-fitting dress she was wearing hugged her curves in an almost devilish way before following out and down to her feet, leaving a slit up to her thigh. Her red hair was pinned back, not a hair out of place.