Striking out

A/N: This is a mama!Nat request by @moonlight_veve. I'm so sorry this took so long to get out but I hope you enjoy. Had to tweak a few things to make it a bit more realistic.

You were frustrated and growing more and more restless by the second. Having to be stuck to the confines of your aunt and uncle's homestead was usually a welcome getaway. You loved being able to visit your cousins and forget about being a superhero every now and then, it was nice to be able to pretend to be normal. Well, it was usually nice because usually, you weren't hiding with the rest of the Avengers from a threat that had completely handed the team their asses. The once welcoming getaway of the Barton farmhouse was now starting to resemble more of a prison that was keeping you from your very dangerous objective.

You sighed and looked down at the small cup of coffee in your hands, you were already picking up your mother and uncle's bad habit of indulging in the caffeinated drink daily. You leaned against the balcony railing before taking a sip of the warm liquid. The sun was beginning to set which painted the sky in pretty pinks and oranges. The scene would have been peaceful if not for the hushed whispers coming from the window behind you.

The team was inside deliberating on what to do next. You couldn't exactly tell if they were trying to keep everything hush hush because of you or Laura and the kids. Whatever the reason they weren't being very good at it, then again it wasn't very hard to pick up on what they were saying with your enhanced hearing. The gist of it was Fury ordered you all to stay put until further notice.

The prospect of having to stay where you were while that maniac was still on the loose and most likely doing unspeakable things to people made your blood boil. You couldn't just stand idly by while there was a chance you could get the bastard and end his reign of terror, direct orders be damned. Your mind was made up.

Upon hearing the screen door open and shut behind you, you turn and look over your shoulder and are greeted with your mother's face. She gives you a soft smile on her approach to which you give her a soft nod and turn back to look at the setting sun. Natasha walks over and leans against the railing beside you. It's silent between the two of you for a moment before her eyes find your cup of coffee. "You shouldn't be drinking those at your age, it stunts growth."

You chuckle and smirk over at her, "Still taller than you." She shoots you a playful glare to which you look away from her playfully. "You know," she starts "There was a time when you respected your elders." A scoff leaves you. "Since when is pointing out facts disrespectful?"

Your mother merely laughs and shakes her head before going silent for a moment. "I know you heard some of what we said. I also know my kid and I know that staying here doesn't exactly thrill you." Your silence was all the answer she needed. Natasha heaved a heavy sigh before looking over at you. "Y/N, I want to go out there and get this guy just as badly as you do but it's far too dangerous. We can't risk having the team go out and risk their necks on the little intel that we have right now." She paused to see if you had anything to say and frowned when you continued to remain silent. "Just, be patient alright? We'll be back out there in no time."

This time you relented and gave a small nod. "Okay." You said softly. Your mother grinned before leaning in and pressing a gentle kiss to your temple. "Thank you sweetheart. Now try and get some rest, we've all had a really long day."

With that Natasha gave you one last smile until walking back into the house. You decided to stay outside for a little bit longer and enjoy the sunset, it would be the last time you could for a while.

----------------

The next morning Natasha woke up a bit later than usual. She had allowed herself to take a break and get a few extra hours of sleep for once. There wasn't any need for her to be up too early seeing as there wasn't anything she could do work-wise with Fury's orders.