Lie to me

A/N: all of my story ideas come to me with songs I swear bro

Warnings: angst

Song: Lie to me (feat. Julia Michaels) - 5sos

I saw you looking brand new overnight
And I caught you looking too, but you didn't look twice

Gripping the drink in your hand a bit tighter you did your best not to scowl at the harsh liquid that had become a close friend over the past month. You were at a party, after all, you should be enjoying yourself.

Looking up at the crowd your eyes locked onto the reason you couldn't exactly enjoy yourself.

You look happy,
You look happy

Her smile brighter up the room and you couldn't help the flutter that your heart gave at the sight of it. The flutter soon turned into an ache as you looked at the man who had to cause her to smile in such a way.

She threw her head back giving a gleeful laugh at something Bruce had said to her. God, how you wished you could hear that laugh again. The crowd made sure the sound was drowned out causing your ears to strain to try and hear the sound once more.

You knew it was no use however, she was clear across the room and sadly, super hearing was not one of your powers.

Still, you couldn't help trying to conjure up the memory of said sound. Conjuring up at a time when you used to cause her to laugh like that.

Flashing back to New York City
Change your flight so you stay with me

Remember thinking that I got this right

You tore your eyes away from the new happy couple and looked into the glass in front of you. It had only been a month since she had broken things off with you.

Seeing as she and Bruce were acting as if they had been together for quite some time now, you could only assume they had started their relationship well before you and Natasha had ended yours.

This small bought of knowledge stung more than the drink that you were currently attempting to drown in one go.

With a loud sigh, you placed the glass down on the bar and pushed yourself away from it.

And now I wish we never met
'Cause you're too hard to forget

You weren't in the mood for a party. Truth be told you would much rather be off in the gym taking your anger out on some poor punching bag. Or better yet, you could be in your room right now drowning in your own self-pity.

Sticking to the edges of the crowd you decided to do your best and mingle with some of the people there. That was the only reason Tony had convinced you to come, just to keep up appearances.

You were reluctant at first but it wouldn't look very good if all Avengers weren't present and accounted for at a party that's purpose was to try and convince investors in aiding the program.

Honestly, you couldn't care less about what investors thought. It was what your teammates thought that was really nagging at you.

Your pride refused to let you wallow around when Natasha had up and completely moved on from you.

You would not be seen as weak to the others.

While I'm cleaning up your mess
I know he's taking off your dress

You found yourself glancing back over at Nat and Bruce, finding that Nat was practically hanging off his arm. You had to stop yourself from rolling your eyes. If you didn't know any better you would say she was doing it just to get under your skin.