Chapter Thirty Six

Some days are better than others.

And obviously, anniversaries can trigger a feeling of gloom inside anyone.

But some days, there's no reason to feel as hurt as you are, but yet you're in pain anyway.

That was my morning.

My chest ached and the pain didn't subside.

I didn't know what caused my gloom, yet it hurt just the same. I didn't want to bother anyone, so I just put up a front and acted like normal.

Though, the day was off. Nothing felt right.

And I mostly just wanted to sulk in my room or just to myself, so when everyone split off to attend to their duties, I went off on my own.

I had finished mine the previous day, so everyone else still had work while I had none.

And with this loneliness, I found myself in my childhood tree house once again, leaning against the same wall as before.

This time, without Damon.

I wish I understood why the day felt so wrong, then I could strive to fix it, but not everything is easy.

I felt a presence besides me, and simply sighed, knowing well enough which god must've dropped in. "What prompted your visit Amor?"

I glanced sideways, seeing the god looking out the window thoughtfully.

The god simply smiled, his eyes sad, yet happy, a grimace taking their face. "I feel as if your mood today may be my fault."

"Why is that?"

"Us gods influence your world sparingly, and had I never interfered in your life in the first place, you may had a longer lifetime with Liam."

I shook my head. "This world was a game in my last life, and I should've known. No matter what happens, when Liam becomes truly happy, with the person he lives, with the people he's with, he was fated to die. I forgot about it for so long, but I should've known better."

"Would you change anything if you had the chance to try again?"

"No." I said softly. "I hate that I lost him, and I still wish he was here today, but that doesn't change how much I loved him, and it doesn't negate my time with him. He wants me to be happy, and I'm happy with Damon."

Amor stayed silent.

"If I had to go through it all again, I wouldn't have changed a thing, because love hurts, life hurts, and the things that happened make these days possible."

"So if you knew every bit of what was going to happen..."

"Well, maybe I'd confess to Liam earlier, but the thing is, when he gets too happy, he'd die, so I'd just be loosing him earlier as well. So yes, I'd leave things the same."

Amor hummed thoughtfully. "Not everyone would pick the same."

"I know. Not everyone has to see things unfold like I did. I am curious though Amor. If you can tell me, was my other soulmate Damon?"

The god looked torn, wanting to tell me and wondering if it was all too much. So he reached out for my hand.

"Isaiah, where have you been all day?" A voice groaned out pitifully.

I smiled, glancing up from my book. "Relaxing. Those politicians were your problem, not mine."

Damon sighed and walked over, moving my book and collapsing on top of me. "Asshole."

That was just last week when I was visiting.

"Huh?"

"I can't tell you. But do you want him to be your soulmate? Do you think he is? Do you love him?"

"Of course!"

"Than what does it matter?"

I chuckled a bit at that, bringing up my knees a bit, resting my arms on them. "You're right. You're an ass for showing me that vision back then."

"You needed hope you'd find happiness, I gave you that hope." He sighed softly, lost in thought. "You have a soul that's still pure. You want good things for others, you look for the best in them and even when they hurt you, you don't try hurting them back."

"That's why I'm pure?"

"You'd be surprised by how selfish and spiteful human souls are. Liam's was selfish, Damon's is spiteful, you aren't either. And even then, they don't have those qualities anymore, or at least when they're with you."

"What?"

"You make people better. The soul in this body before you was dark, a dark soul with no care for anyone but themselves. But you entered, you made the body pure because your soul was so pure."

"Huh."

"Well, as it is, I should get going. You feel better?"

"Did you really just drop down to make me feel better?" I asked. And I thought about it. I still felt bad, but the pain had somewhat lessened. "But yes, I do."

"Good. Enjoy this life, alright. You seem pretty happy, so enjoy it." And he vanished.

Then, as if he knew exactly when I'd need him-

"Isaiah! You up there? I saw a big ball of light, god bug you?" Damon is always right in the nose.

I leaned out the window, "yeah, I'm coming down, give me a moment." I made my way down and met up with Damon. He was wearing loose fitting casual clothes, so he probably came straight here after eating.

"What god decided to drop in?"

I shrugged, "Amor. What brings you?"

"I thought we could- you doing okay?"

I shook my head at that, "no. I just... I feel awful. I'm happy, but today I just feel overwhelmed."

"I can head home if-"

"No!" I interrupted. I reached for his hand, gripping it tight, "I like having you here."

"Then let's find a place to relax, alright?"

Which is how we ended up in one of our sitting rooms, my head in his lap as he ran his fingers through my hair.

After years of always being the dominating person in a relationship, it was nice to take a more submissive role. Damon was happy to give me that too.

His hands felt nice, and I could practically just melt into him.

"Want to talk about why you're upset?" He asked gingerly.

"I don't know why," I admitted honestly. "I woke up and felt... sad. Guilty even and it made no sense. So I've been trying to get through the day."

Damon hummed and bent over, pressing a kiss to my head. "Unfortunately, some days are like that. And for you, someone who's seen death firsthand, you're going to have to deal with the repercussions often."

"It's stupid," I mumbled.

"That's it is. But we're stupid ourselves."

The rest of the day, Damon stayed by my side, helping ease the pain I felt with every second he stayed.

I loved him.