Chapter Forty Eight

I had left in the early hours of the morning for the palace in a carriage the emperor, wonderful Damon, had sent. My family would come later for the actual wedding, so the only person with me was Leon, my guard. Who honestly didn't need to be there but was there for traditions sake as well as for appearances.

As it was, I wore very plain and simple clothes since I'd be changing immediately upon getting there.

Leon was in the front with the driver, so I was simply relaxing for the ride. And it went smoothly. I was rushed in the castle pretty quickly so no one saw me, and rushed to where I'd get ready for the event with many servants at my beck and call.

I was allowed to change in peace, without them present, but the second I was dressed, they made sure everything fit right, that my hair was pretty and neat, that my skin looked smooth, everything. We even did a traditional face mask as they pulled together fragrant perfumes to find which would suit me best.

The one they settled on was a sort of vanilla sugar scent. Sweet.

By the time I was done, I felt refreshed and felt at the top of my game. And it was time for me to meet my husband to be. I could only imagine how long I'd be in there if I was a woman.

The wedding was being held in the church connected to the palace, reception would be in the biggest room in said palace. I was escorted down there, greeted by large ornate doors, hearing faint music beyond them.

I could hear people in the street clamoring to get a view of anything from the event. The music got louder, and as I took a breath, the doors opened, revealing a large gathering of people, all who were focused on me and my ornate white and purple tux. It was littered I d entailed embellishments that drew the eye.

Though, glancing down the aisle towards Damon, I could tell his suit was equally as spectacular in the soft shades of blue and white.

He turned to face me, and when our eyes met, both of us seemed to melt. I walked towards him, holding a Bouquet of white roses, which would be taken from me when I reached him. Damon reached out for me the second my hands were free, and I took his hands in my own.

They were warm, and it sent heat through my body, making me feel fuzzy. And that fuzziness, a wonderful buzz lasted through the I do's and us exchanging our rings. Damon was sent gently when he put it on, and took such care with it, I'm sure I'm not the only one who flushed at the action.

And when it came to our vows, he held tightly on to my hands. "I love you. I always have, and always will. It took me awhile to figure it out, but I'm glad I did. Having you besides me makes me better. You have always been my biggest supporter and even when I lashed out, you defended me and treated me kindly. I promise to make you happy."

He was too sweet.

I hoped I could match his speech. "You're my first love and my last one. Growing up together, I was always happy besides you. Seeing our friendship blossom to what it is today, through all the bumps along the way, through the fights, I'm glad we got here. And if you promise to make me happy, then I promise to do so too. Because I love you more than anything. You mean everything to me, and I'm glad you're with me."

They were both rather short vows, but it got across what we most wanted to say.

A crown was taken out, a matching one to Damon's, and I briefly let go of one of Damon's hands to accept the crown. It was placed delicately on my head, and the officiating man seemed content in giving it too me. When it rested neatly on my head, I turned back to Damon, grabbing hold of his empty hand.

As soon as I heard you may kiss the groom, me and Damon happily embraced each other in a long and drawn out kiss. I was too happy to pay attention to the others, hearing the cheers or applause or any of that. All I cared about was that Damon was in front of me.

And he seemed to feel the same.

When we managed to pull apart, we stayed hand in hand, grinning like the two idiots in love that we were, and made our way back down the aisle. We'd meet everyone at reception after a carriage ride through the capital to see the people.

The entire carriage ride, the people could tell just how happy Damon and I were. We were smiling in ways no one ever saw before. And besides the coronation, this was the first time most people saw Damon after becoming emperor.

And for me, I'd never really outwardly showed the joy I was wearing. When I married Liam I did, but that was a small and closed event very few saw. So me going from drawn back yet charismatic to elated and bubbly, it was probably weird to witness.

By the time we made it to reception, I was ready for food, my stomach rumbling a bit, which Damon found hilarious. We'd have to wait for the speeches to do cake and everything, but food was very near.

And honestly, while the speeches were all sweet and touching from everyone, they weren't groundbreaking either. Just the same love I've been allowed to receive all these years.

And then it was good. Damon and I shared cake, feeding it to each other which seemed to annoy a few guests, not that they dared to say anything. It was a red velvet one, which both Damon and I liked, so it was a good cake.

We did eat other food as well, and danced our silly little hearts away, having a blast as if we were the only two in the world. We might as well have been.

Eyes were on us the entire time, through every stolen kiss, every readjustment of the crown I wasn't used to, every slip up as we danced. We were the stars of the night.

And like stars, we were bright, drinking in the laughter and joy that filled our hearts. My family, Leon, Liz and Devon included, were all proud of us, cheering us on. The ex-emperor and Princess were cheering just as loudly.

The second and third prince were nowhere in sight, and I was fine with that.

"You have quite the stamina to dance for so long," Damon joked as another song began.

"Same to you. This is what, our twelfth dance of the night?" I teased.

He laughed softly, pecking my lips as we moved slowly to the music. "I'd dance a million more to stay besides you."

"No need for that. We're married now. I wouldn't leave you for anything."

"I'll hold you too that darling."

If it wasn't for they eyes, I would've melted then and there. Something about a pet name... from Damon of al people.

It swelled up in my chest in all the best ways.

How soon would our honeymoon come?