Chapter Three

The battle was very short lived.

My abilities wiped the floor with them and I was met with some very very shocked faces. It wasn't surprising considering I annihilated a bunch of demons in one go.

But that was last week.

As it was, I was stuck at a victory banquet, where the king was praising me. I honestly didn't want it.

Even worse is plenty of girls were eager to try and dance with me. I really didn't want to dance with them.

"You know, for a party to commemorate you, you seem less than pleased," Damon teased as he took a sip from his glass.

I smiled in acknowledgment, letting out a huff, "you know I don't care for the attention."

Liam snorted besides us, "that much is obvious. You really underplayed how strong your abilities were."

Damon and Liam were my friends, but I was afraid they'd throw hands any time either of them talked to the other.

"He's always been like that. Ever since we were kids," Damon explained, flaunting that we've been friends for awhile.

I just wish they'd get along.

I could see plenty of people watching the three of us but avoiding us. It wasn't a surprise. Damon was the crown prince, I was a Duke with the emperor's favor who could destroy towns and Liam was a knight appointed by the emperor.

What a crew I'd gathered so far. Had this been the game normally, I would've been dancing with the protagonist's rival.

Speaking of, she was making her way over.

Diana Markson. She was a countess to be. A truly beautiful women with very sharp features. Bright red hair and brilliant green eyes. A true beauty.

Had this been the normal game, her father would've offered me her hand after we danced.

But this isn't the game.

"Lord Reynolds," she started, bowing, "would you care to dance with me?"

I smiled kindly, "I do apologize, but my heart is already taken, so I'll have to decline."

Her face widened in shock a bit, not expecting that answer, "oh, I apologize then." She bowed again and headed off.

"Oh, you like someone?" Damon teased. My face felt hot at it.

"You didn't seem the type. Who's the lucky lady?" Liam joked, wrappings an arm around my shoulders.

Damon seemed annoyed at the action.

"Well, they're a bit untouchable, so there's no point in mentioning them."

"Heh?" Damon muttered, confused. "How could they be untouchable? Is she an older lady or something along those lines?"

"No... it's a personal thing I don't feel comfortable discussing with anyone. Not yet at least," I excused.

Liam nodded, humming before speaking. "When you do feel comfortable, we'd like to know who captured your heart."

If they knew... their smiled would fall right off their face.

"You're lord Reynolds, right?"

The three of us turned to the new guest.

Ah, romantic interest four. Sir Finn Guinevere. The resident royal Wizard. His eyes and hair were both as black as could be, and he looked rather dignified wearing his robes with his suit.

"Sir Guinevere, what brings you here?" Damon asked.

"I heard about Lord Reynolds magic at the battle front. I was quite intrigued."

Anyone would be to be fair. "Nice to meet you, you're the royal wizard, right?"

Finn grinned, proud of his title. "That I am. Finn Guinevere at your service."

"A pleasure. I'm lord Isaiah Reynolds."

He seemed pleased with my polite response, "how did you manage such amazing acts? From what I'm aware, you didn't display such talent in school."

"I don't care for attention, so I didn't use my full ability. I'd rather not be here either, but I've pissed off the emperor more than enough these past two weeks."

"I still want to know what you did," Damon mentioned. "He's amicable now, but he's been rather upset these past few weeks."

"I just told him that he needs to stop treating me like a son and start caring for his own," I muttered. The. Realized I said that out loud in front of the three. "I apologize for my rudeness."

Damon seemed shocked, "what?"

I glanced away, "I know he pays too much attention to me. But you're brilliant and you're his son. You deserve the attention, not me."

"Is that the reason I went along with my father to battle? Because you pissed him off?"

I grimaced are his dejected tone. "I said I wouldn't fight if he wouldn't bother even offering you a chance. You're strong prince Damon. I just wish he saw that as much as I did."

"You have some massive balls to do that," Liam muttered. "My respect for you went through the roof."

Damon's face slipped to a smile, "you're one considerate friend. Thank you."

Finn seemed content at the exchange.

Everyone could see all of us smiling together, as if we were all old friends. Even the emperor seemed a bit surprised at the display.

"You are all an odd bunch, I like that," Finn said, confident in every word.

I was definitely the oddest. A gay man amongst straight and handsome men.

I was so screwed if any of them found out.

"Oh, what type of girl is it, the one that you like? At least give us that," Liam pushed.

Heat flooded my face.

I guess I could indulge them a bit.

"They're beautiful. Extremely beautiful. They're shy, yet really confident. They're a bit insecure and I want them to know how much I care about them. When they smile, my chest tightens because it's never for me. But I can't hate them, because no matter what, I'll always love them." I knew I was trailing off, but I couldn't help it. "Anyplace they touch feels warm, like I've been blessed. Their laugh is contagious and I want to build a world for them, grow a family. I wish they knew."

I glanced at the three, seeing them all red in the face.

"What a lucky lady. Anyone would be happy to hear such dedicated words," Liam muttered.

Finn nodded, "she'd be a fool to reject you. She has to be gorgeous for you to say such kind words."

"They're the most beautiful person I know. They might not know it, but they are. They make me happy, and I want to make them happy. I plan to tell them when I'm an adult, but that's a years away."

"I'm here for you. Things will turn out well," Damon assured.

Sure. For everyone else. Loving someone was a death sentence.

In my past life, I was too scared to let anyone know. I was ready to spend my life alone. This is how it would be here as well.

No matter who I loved, I'd be punished for it.

"Is something wrong, you look sad all the sudden?" Liam mentioned.

I shook my head, "just thoughts getting in my head, it's nothing."

Nothing but heart ache.