Chapter Thirty Eight

While myself was a popular figure to the public, my family was not. They were known, but seeing them was a rather rare occurrence outside of social balls between elites.

So when I made it to the castle, my sister in her riding gear, proud and just as beautiful as I was, eyes caught. When I dismounted, I helped her down and she landed as graceful as a cat, smiling kindly. We led my house to a guard, who took it to the stables as we entered the castle, eyes following us every step.

I was still in my training clothes, and she in hers, so we weren't dressed to meet the royals, but we hardly ever were.

As it was, the royal family was gathered in the great hall. The emperor sitting neatly on his throne and the princes and princess sitting in the thrones nearby.

The person they were talking to, luckily finished upC which was great as eyes flew me and my sister's way.

"Duke Reynolds? What brings you and Lady Rose Reynolds?" A servant asked.

"Yes, I'm rather curious, we saw you not too long ago..." Damon muttered, clearly confused.

I let rose lead as she walked forward. "I'm here to reject prince Florian's marriage proposal. Does he take me for some whore to propose without ever meeting me?"

Everyone's eyes flew to Florian, who flared at both Rose and me. "We've met before."

"Yes, when was that again, care to remind me? And if you think mentioning an event my brother was at will save you, I hope to remind you that my brother and I don't go to the same events."

He stiffened, seemingly caught.

"I see you are wordless. If I want a woman, I could pick my own. And believe me, despite what you may think, I'm not into royalty."

I was so proud of her as she glared the fucker down.

"I... I apologize on my son's behalf," the emperor said, his voice turned and almost strained.

"Why must you apologize? I was simply extending my atta-"

I couldn't help myself but butt in, "if you say attraction as if you haven't treated me poorly in the past simply because I was 'attractive,' then I fear no person alive could save you from my fists nor my foot which I will kick up your ass until your balls are in your throat."

All men paled at the threat.

Floarian quickly recovered, "how dare you threaten a royal!"

"I'm not threatening a royal, I'm threatening a man who has once again tried to shame my family. Even if I were threatening one, my late husband trained the guards, I help from time to time. I'm blessed by the gods and goddess. If I had wanted to, I could."

"You can't just say those things!" He grouched.

I smiled, but it didn't reach my eyes or feel at all genuine. "And yet I did. Now, don't think about pulling this sort of thing again. My sister deserves the best, and you don't deserve her. You're far from ideal."

"And what would be her ideal?" He scoffed.

Rose looked at him with the biggest smile and to even my surprise, "a woman."

Yeah, definitely a surprise.

"I actually have someone who caught my fancy, but seeing how men are these days, I've been working on my sword fighting. Have already bested Jackson and James. But you are again, far from ideal."

"Actually didn't know that. Good for you," I said kindly.

"My tastes are better than yours. Seeing the types you like," she teased.