Chapter Thirty Two

I found myself by the capital more often than the past. No one ever called me out on it, but it was probably because I was friends with Finn and Damon and I visited both while I was there.

With Liam gone, I only had them to find outside my family. Leon was family at this point.

Devon was family and Liz was busy with social gatherings away from my circle. She and Devon actually were going to school together, but I digress.

So it again, made sense I was visiting as often as I was.

Though, my visits meant I had more chances to run into the other Royals.

And it wasn't just Florian that was bad.

The other two we equally a mess.

Just not as... blunt as Florian was.

I was wandering the library, waiting for Damon to finish his meeting when I had run into Bryson.

He was basically falling asleep reading.

Judging from the pile of books he finished, he was probably sleep deprived.

"Your highness, if you're tired you should go to bed."

The prince jolted upright, looking around before his eyes settled on me. He looked me up and down, and bit back his tongue. "What are you doing in the royal library?"

"Waiting for Prince Damon. His meeting is almost over and we have plans."

"Ah... you're a friend of his?"

I nodded, "Duke Reynolds."

His face soured a bit, like my name left a bad taste. "The one that was married to a man?"

"Yes, that's me. Is there a problem?"

He shook his head, "no, no. I just don't get your lifestyle, that's all."

"Ah. Well, sorry you feel that way, but most people aren't bothered by it anymore."

"Just get out of my sight you disgusting!"

"If you're looking for an insult, hold your tongue," Damon chided as he entered the room and walked besides me.

Bryson glared our way, but held his tongue.

I found out later that he wanted to become emperor solely to repeal the laws the emperor put in place to protect me and people like me. Which was unfortunate.

The Princess supported my sexuality, she just... was overly aggressive when it came to her heritage and her place. She was rude to servants and constantly had to act spoiled to show that she was indeed a real princess.

No one was particularly happy with her.

I felt bad, since she really just wanted to feel like she belonged.

Still, it only made me realize that Damon needed to become emperor, no matter what. The other three would drag the kingdom down to ruins.

Which made our relationship awkward at times, but it was a small hurdle.

As it was, this visit was for a joint training session. Since Liam and I were the same rank, the emperor wanted me to help lead training.

And that was all fine, though, I was aware of the countless eyes that followed me. It was nice to be admired, but I was a happily taken man.

Now at least.

I was doing basic training movements, trying to get everyone to follow along when they all stilled and stood straight. I followed their gaze to find one of my many admirers, Tim, and then another admirer, Elliot, and a third admirer being Damon.

"Didn't realize you had guests?" I commented as they approached.

"They wanted to come see you," Damon informed with a heavy sigh.

Oh gods.

Really? Here, in front of hundred of soldiers and highly trained officers?

Great.

"We heard you've moved on-"

"Not interested, I'm already seeing someone."

The blunt reply caught them off guard.

"You-" Elliot collected himself. "You're seeing someone?"

"Yes," I confirmed. "And even if I wasn't, I could only ever see you two as friends."

Tim pouted a bit, "who are they?"

"None of your business. I've got soldiers to train, so I'll see you later. And don't think you're getting out of training your highness, your sword skills are lacking."

Damon just shook his head a bit, "I'll be back soon. Feel free to resume." He shuffled the prince and king away, and I returned to my trainees.

All of them looked shocked.

"You're dating someone?"

"Yes. My love life won't help you stay alive, come on." I pushed aside all love related questions and made them all train until their lungs wanted to give out.

It was only then that Damon reappeared, looking tired in his own regard.

"Gross, you're drenched in sweat," he muttered.

I hummed thoughtfully, "you would be too if you got here sooner. Everyone is taking a short break for now."

"Do you need one?" Damon asked.

Ha, fuck no. "Why?"

"You said my sword fighting needed work."

I smirked and got up, grabbing some swords, not the training ones and handed him one.

The exhausted soldiers just watched listlessly as Damon and I sparred.

Damon was better than most with his sword, but he still lacked certain things. He stood too narrow, making his overly stiff at times, and he took too long to think. So I tried opening him up and forcing him to think faster than normal.

And he kept up really well. I'm guessing he'd been getting training from his actually teacher since the last time we sparred.

Good.

Though, I swept at his feet and he went sprawling to the ground.

"Oh you fucking asshole," he got out, laughing.

"Uh huh?"

"You two have gotten closer since last. Almost like when you were kids," and older commander commented.

Damon smiled a bit at that, "I guess so. It's good to be close again."

"Do you know who Duke Reynolds is seeing?" A soldier squeaked out.

"Even if I did, it wouldn't be my business to tell."

"What part of none of your business are you missing?" I ask, slightly aggravated.

"You were very open when you were with the late general, so I just thought-"

"I was married to him for years and most people didn't know until right before he died. Despite my public appearances, I do like to keep my love life private if I can help it."

Damon nodded in acknowledgement. "I'm all honesty, he kept their relationship fairly private. Liam was really the one who was open about it. He liked to brag."

No, that wasn't it. But talking about it here... it wasn't appropriate.

Truthfully, looking back in it, Liam was insecure. Obviously later on it was just confidence, but in the beginning; there was this fear he had that I'd leave him for Damon and he constantly felt like he had to validate himself. He did tell me about all of that, and we worked it out the best we could, but it didn't change that he was insecure.

I'd have to talk to Damon about it soon too. No doubt he probably had his own issues, and talking through them can sometimes help.

"Neither of us liked the public eyes. Now, if we're done gossiping?"

The soldiers straightened out and finished their break so we could launch back into training.