Chapter Fifty Two

I didn't wake up right away. In fact, when I woke up, I was in the emperor's chambers, Damon sitting besides me, reading, periodically checking in on me.

"When did we get back?" I asked in a soft groan.

Damon startled and moved to me, making sure I stayed laying down, "only a few hours ago. A messenger was sent to grab the nobles and my siblings don't know we're back yet."

"Good. They should be here soon."

"You feeling better?"

I nodded, sitting up with Damon's support. "I should be good to do my plan then."

"What exactly do you plan on doing?" He asked me.

"Do you remember what happened to the kingdom that made monsters? That summoned them, contracted them?"

Damon thought for a moment, "well, when we sent people there before the war ended, we saw quite a few people become monsters, or have monster like qualities."

"If what the halfling said was true, then your brother should be affected by the same affliction."

As he processed that, I braced for his worried doting. "Wait, we can't have you passing out again!"

"I'll be fine this time. I'll have mana potions on hand as well."

"If you pass out again-"

"I won't. If I do, you can punish me however you like," I assured.

Damon sighed, pressing a kiss to my forehead,cupping my face. "I'm serious. You scared me last night. Everyone was worried."

Fuck. "I'm sorry. I didn't think it would take so much out of me."

"I know," Damon assured. "I just hate when you overwork yourself. So please be careful."

"I promise I will be." I leaned into him, nuzzling. "Thank you for taking care of me."

"I'd do that in a heart beat. You're my darling husband after all, and my closest friend."

I smiled at those words. And Damon and I spent the next few hours in there, waiting for the nobles to arrive. We did get dressed properly, which was stuffy as hell, but held the promise of being able ti peel Damon out of it all later.

We a servant came to fetch us, we were ready. So we walked arm and arm to our guests, all equally confused as we walked out. They still bowed as we took our seats. The princes and princess were among the crowd and the ex emperor as well.

"Last night, my husband and I were attacked at the royal villa. Thankfully, no one died and we got away with minimal injuries."

The crowd muttered at that, wondering who would fat try such a thing.

"What the person who hired Rose contract killers didn't expect was an ability my husband holds, allowing him control over monsters and halflings. Because if that, we found out one of the many people responsible."

People seemed even more shocked by that.

"Common people don't have the funds to hire killers most times. So we realized that those involved would be among the nobles. So my husband is going to use his ability to seek out the culprits. Our exits are barred. If you try to leave, you will be found guilty." He glanced at me, and I took a deep breath.

"Sit."

Loud thudding echoed the room as quite a few people, including the third prince, fell to their feet to sit.

"Many of you mag not know, but when you sign a contract with a monster of any kind, you disregard your humanity, meaning you too will become a monster," I stated.

Damon nodded, "now guards, take anyone who is sitting and regrow them in the dungeons, we'll deal with them later." His eyes moved to his siblings, only Bryson sitting. "The monster told us you initiated it. But I'm still surprised my own brother wanted my head." The people still left standing looked around the room in shock, especially since the third prince was glaring up at us, nor remotely sorry for his actions.

It was horrifying anyone would stoop that low. Even Florian seemed disgusted by his younger brother's actions.

Some common sense I suppose.

Solider moved at the guilty party members to the dungeons, leaving a still shocked room. Damon looked over at me, "how's you mana? Are you tired?" He asked.

"I'm alright. I'll drink a mana potion to be safe." I pulled it out of thin air, and the people who'd never seen me do that before were just stuck in an awed silence.

Damon cleared his throat to gather attention, "I'm glad there have been many people who supported us. I am aware of people who don't like my husband or myself, I'm understanding and as long as you don't cause harm or attempt to, you can keep those opinions." The air then thickened, a bloodlust filling the room, gathering rage from Damon I had never seen before. "Try to harm me, my husband, my family, anyone I acre about, you will not be facing jail time. You will be facing a public execution."

That threat was actually kinda hot. Not gonna lie.

Maybe that was because I loved every aspect about my husband.

"I will pass laws to protect people like me and my husband, and I'd you don't agree with that, then you should run. Run as far away from the capital and this empire as you can." He observed the sea of frightened faces, smiling coldly. "Now, you are dismissed."

The nobles hurriedly rushed out, leaving the royal family and guards.

My father in law, and sister in law came over to the two of us.

Damon's dad spoke first, "to think your own brother...."

"Right? I didn't think he'd stoop so low! On their honeymoon too!"

I felt comforted in their immediate worry over us. Florian stood behind them both, sighing.

"Even if I don't like you guys, what Bryson did was pathetic."

I nodded and turned to Damon, "have you decided what you want to do with them?" I asked.

"Well, I can't execute them, that's ridiculous."

"You can if you wanted to. Just not your brother since he's of royal blood," the ex emperor reminded.

"That's exactly why I can't," Damon admitted with a huff. "It needs to be equal."

"Ah, what about banishment? We have secure borders and eyes in every corner out there. We can ban them from the empire and if they become more monsterish, other countries can execute them. It leave them strong and our hands clean. Best of all, an equal punishment. No noble title in a foreign land," I suggested.

Damon hummed thoughtfully at that, nodding, "that would work well. I'll get the documents signed by tonight."

"Don't stress yourself out too much." I chided. He quirked a brow at me. "I'm saying don't be a hypocrite. I worry about you too."

"I won't. We should get to those documents then. We'll see you all at dinner." We left them and returned to our room. Well, after Damon grabbed the documents needed. I helped him, the two of us wading through the massive amounts of paperwork.

By the time we finished it all, it was time for dinner.

Tomorrow would be a horrible day, but at least Damon and I had other ti work through it.