Chapter Ten

The emperor sent me to another battle. It was months later, so I knew it wasn't to dispose of me.

Though, the soldiers didn't know how to act around me, avoiding me if they could. Liam literally didn't care.

He was still my friend. I don't know if. I mentioned it before, but Liam had become a general, one of the emperor's most trusted soldiers.

He led most battles, and had the power to command them. So soldiers were afraid to say anything as long as he was there.

Thankfully.

And since I was his right hand man and he was mine, there was hardly any time we were apart. We even shared a tent.

Though, I left to take a piss and overheard some soldiers worries.

"General, lord Reynolds likes men, doesn't that bother you?"

He snorted rather loudly, "no! Why should it? It's the same as loving a woman."

"What if he tries to do-"

"When you're around women, do you assault them, simply because they're women? If so, I'll gladly chop that dick off of you. But the same reasoning applies. He's not into me or any of you. He has tastes and if I'm being honest, none of you come close."

"So you know who he confessed to?"

Liam must've flared at the soldier, because i heard him whimper quite loudly. "Yes, but it's not my place to tell you, or anyone, just him. If any of you mistreat him just because he likes men, you are being discharged."

Even if I wasn't around, he still defended me.

"Yes general, I apologize for my words." And the soldier scurried off.

I walked up and ruffled his hair, "you're going to scare all the soldiers if you glare that hard."

"You heard all of that?"

I shrugged. "I expected as much. You are right though, none of them for my type."

He laughed as I sat down besides him. Soldiers listened in as they ate by the fire.

"Glad to see you're looking better. Was worried about you."

I smiled at his kind words, "yeah. It still hurts that he rejected me, but I've still got my family, and I still have Elizabeth and you. Sucks that Finn ditched us."

"If he thought you were his type, I'm sure he'd be mistaken."

I snorted rather loudly, "god no! He's a bit self absorbed. Can't stand that."

"I'm just glad there's no royal presence this time."

"Just because he doesn't agree with it, doesn't make him a bad guy," I reminded.

Now, for some reason, the soldiers found that surprising.

"Wait, the crown prince won't talk to you anymore? You were best friends!"

Liam shot a glare at the soldier.

"S-sorry for eavesdropping, but the prince was happier with lord Reynolds. How can cast you aside because you like men?"

"You sh-"

"Liam, it's alright. I expected to be dead by now anyway." I turned to the soldier. "I loved prince Damon more than anyone in this life. I sought him out on my birthday to tell him so. He didn't accept them. And it hurts, but I can't do much about it."

Realization dawned on their faces, and they seemed sad.

A soldier walked up to me, "I'm sorry for being rude to you, making assumptions about you. It must be hard."

"Thank you, but I'm alright. I wasn't, but, I have friends, the few of them, and my family, who still love me for who I am. I can't change this about me, and it's hard, but I'll find happiness one day. Even if that's not for awhile."

"We support you sir!"

"Glad to hear that."

Liam was grinning from ear to ear at how the soldier seemed to relax. And all of us drank the night away.

Come the next morning, we were ready to battle, all of us seemingly closer as comrades.

Then we heard the royal horses.

Fuck.

"If you don't want to see them-"

"I'll be fine. It's been four months."

All of us, Liam, the soldiers and I, stood for the royal horses, remaining proper positions as Damon and Finn arrived.

Of course their were guards with them, as always. But never too many.

The pair dismounted, Damon addressing all of us.

"We will be joining you in this battle. Lord Reynolds?"

"Huh." What. I bowed to him, "what can I do for you, your highness?"

"You can either head home or stay out of my sight."

I visibly winced at that. "I understand." I turned away and walked back towards the tent.

Fuck.

Pain just overwhelmed me, and I sat on my mat, holding back tears and the overwhelming urge to throw up.

I thought time would make it easier, but hearing the absolute disgust again made me sick.

I couldn't help crying. Silent sobs that shook me to my core.

I ended up staying in that tent for hours, skipping lunch and dinner.

Liam gave me space, but came after dinner with some food. When he saw me crying, he set the food besides me, and hugged me. Men didn't normally hug each other, not here at least. But I knew he wanted to make me feel safe and comforted, hugging me tight.

"I want to punch his teeth out," he muttered.

I laughed as he pulled away, "don't do that, it's not worth the effort. Besides, I told him I'd stay out of his sights. So it's fine."

"You're allowed to be angry."

I shook my head, "I'm not angry. I'm just... exhausted. I'm hurt. I don't want to see him so I can heal. He hates me, and I want to be okay with that but I can't be okay with it. Every time he looks at me, it's like I'm nothing more than a big, an annoying pest. And I should be angry, but I can't be."

"You should eat up. We head out tomorrow."

"Alright. I'm probably going to secure the perimeter before I sleep, so if I'm not here-"

He interrupted me, "take the time you need to clear your head."

He stayed with me while I ate, and wiped away my tears with much more care than I ever had in life. He took my plate and left.

And then I left to clear the perimeter.

It was uneventful, not finding anything. But it gave me time to calm down. I was tried of being upset, but feelings don't let you pick and choose when you feel them.

"Why are you being so rude to Isaiah?" Liam asked.

Oh shit. Apparently I walked close enough to hear them.

I couldn't see them, so they must've been a bit farther ahead.

"Why would I be nice?" Damon retaliated. "He wants to court me?"

"So? Prince Damon, I don't like men. But if he admires his feelings to me, I wouldn't just throw him out. He's still my friend. You're throwing away years of friendship, his loyalty to you, because he loved you?"

"You question my decisions?" He growled out at Liam.

Liam stood his ground though, "I do. One day, you'll agree. When he's happy, when he's moved on, you're going to realize the mistake you made."

"I-"

"Goodnight."

I heard am wearing from Damon and Liam storming off. I finished my patrol before heading back to my tent.

Liam was the best friend I could ask for. I wish I'd loved him instead.