Chapter Forty Four

Since the coronation and the wedding were such royal events, my suits had to be made by the royal tailor. At least, that's what the emperor insisted.

It was awkward for sure. Mostly because the seamstress, while skilled with tuxes and dresses, didn't know how to approach mine.

She had my measurements down pretty quick, and seemed to just we looking at swatches of fabric.

"What type of style do you usually go for?" She asked.

"Simple. Since the events these are for are for very new and exciting things, I'm not sure it's bes t to go simple." I thought for a moment. "When prince Damon gets crowned, I don't want to stand out, it's his day. The wedding day I'm okay with standing out , because we'll be doing it together."

She smiled a bit, holding up two swatches. "Well, you seem sweet. It will be nice seeing you around the palace more."

"The idea is still weird to me. Moving away from my manor and my family, but I'm excited. Nervous, but excited."

"Oh, I was like that myself. My husband was from the capital originally and I was from a. Few towns over. Still, I don't regret any of it."

I smiled as she seemed to finalize her swatches. I honestly didn't care much for the process. "It's hard to believe it's not to far away."

"It will be the event of the year!"

That it would be. "He'll be a good emperor."

"And you'll be a good husband. Even before you two were together, I swear he talked my ear off about you," the seamstress informed joyfully.

It piqued my interests enough, "oh?"

"Growing up til now, he always talked about you. Quite obsessively. It was pretty adorable when he was younger," she admitted. "He'd stand still as I tailored his suits and go on and on about how great you were. Can't say I didn't see this coming."

That was... comforting. And the awkward atmosphere was gone, just like that. It was rather nice. The fitting was pretty decent, small chatter the whole time.

It was one of many fittings since today was mostly about color and measurements, but she did get some of it together for me, at least my outfit for the coronation.

The coronation which was only a month away.

Which meant picking one of my brothers to be Duke was a task I had to do soon.

After the fitting ended, I found myself wandering around the castle, lost in thought. And as if guiding me by the reigns of fate, I ran into Damon.

"How'd the fitting go?" He asked sweetly.

He snapped me back to reality so quickly with one question, "it went well. She seemed rather nice. I can see why you have kept her employed so long."

"She's a lot like family. It's hard to believe we're only a month away from becoming one ourselves."

"Please, we're basically a married couple already," I joked pinching his cheek.

He rolled his eyes before pulling me in for a chaste kiss, his hand moving to the small of my back to keep me close, our bodies having no space between us. "It will be official in a month. And every day I'll have you besides me."

"Your highness, you've certainly gotten more bold since the engagement."

Damon chuckled, not moving an inch, "sneaking around just to kiss is tiring. Now that the world knows, I can proudly show you off."

I laughed into his shoulder, "that doesn't explain where your hand is wandering?"

He flushed from the tips of his toes to his ears, jumping. "S-sorr-"

"It's fine. Just maybe kind your location. While no one is currently here, your family or knights could've walked in on you grabbing my ass."

"That's..." he paused. "Alright. That's fair. Besides that, and you staying at the palace tonight?"

"I can't. My father and I have a lot of paperwork to wade through before my brothers get the title."

He sighed, but nodded, "it's unfortunate, but necessary." He moved his hands to my own, grasping them tightly. "Did you want me to walk you to your horse?"

"I'd love that."

So we started, hand in hand, making our way out towards my horse. It was so, comfortable. Staff smiled as we passed, said hello to us as well, generally being kind for the whole ordeal.

I had gotten used to them fairly quickly, and they got used to me, especially used to my antics when it came to people who acted like jerks. Like Damon had predicted a while back, the staff liked me as my own staff back home.

They would t be my staff for much longer, but at long as I was still Duke, they were my shield, friends, comrade, all of that.

"Do you know which brother of yours will inherit your title?" He asked.

"No, both are extremely bright and even in every way. I want to be able to offer it to both of them, but I can't due that."

"Well, technically, no. If you split the property, you can make it into two separate dukedoms. Mother. And southern and they can still share the house. Plenty of people have done it."

"What?" I muttered in disbelief

"I can get permission signed by next week. That way you won't have to pick between them."

I paused in my tracks, staring in disbelief.

"Isaiah?"

"Give me a second, you just told me something amazing."

He had a lopsided grin on his face, eyes lazy and satisfied hearing it all. "Don't stay too long. Your family is waiting for you."

"Right," I muttered. "I think they'd understand. Should I surprise them with it?"

"Whatever you think is best. I'll get you the permission as soon as possible and you can have a stress free time waiting for the wedding."

"I'm pretty sure I'll still be stressed."

"Fair. We're almost at the stables, so we should keep going."

I hummed softly, continuing on. With each mew discovery and day, his hand in my own cemented the reality of it all.

Soon I'd never have to leave.