Chapter Forty Seven

It was my final day at home. It was strange. My family had gotten everything packed for me to be taken with me tomorrow in the wedding day.

Normally the betrothed would stay at the castle the day before the wedding, but everyone thought that idea would be terrible. Especially if Damon I were honoring the tradition of not seeing each other before the wedding.

We definitely wouldn't honor that if I was spending the night there.

Everyone knew that well.

And they also knew that they'd Gould definitely avoid our chambers during the first honeymoon.

I could already imagine how that would go.

But as it was, my things were packed, and I was spending my last day as Duke with my family.

It was rather peaceful, and the staff was sad to see me go. It was nice that they cared so much about me, even after all the shit I pulled.

They even prepared a large feast for me. It was a pretty bittersweet day that seemed to flash on a blink of an eye.

I'd leave early in the morning, and I wanted to properly talk to all my family.

So I started with Rose. We went to our garden and walked around. She fiddled with his glove sleeves as time passed.

"I couldn't have asked for a better sister," I said softly.

She laughed, smiling boldly, "you're saying that because I'm like you."

"Possible," I joked. "But I am glad. I will visit as often as possible, but I wanted to tell you that I love you. And you'll always be my baby sister."

"And you'll be my foolish and stupidly strong big brother. Nothing will change that."

"I'm glad for that. You better find someone that makes you happy."

She giggled a bit at that, "you married for love, and I will do the same."

"Good."

Next we're James and Jackson.

I met with them in the library, helping them find books that helped me in my reign as the Duke.

"Can you believe you'll be running all this starting tomorrow?" I joked as I pulled out a book.

Jackson chuckled as he added the book to his pile. "You and father taught us well. And he'll be here to help us get accustomed to it all."

"Though we are technically taking over already, just not in title," James reminded Cooly.

"True," I agreed. "It still makes me happy both of you can have the title. I didn't know who I was going to pick since you're both amazing."

"Well, the emperor really was amazing that way. He'd to believe you're marrying him tomorrow," Jackson said mostly to himself.

I nodded thoughtfully at that, "it's still strange to me that he's emperor now. Seems like just yesterday he was my darling prince."

"Now he's your darling emperor. And you are his soon to be husband," Jackson reminded.

James chimed in, "emperor or not, if he ever hurts you, know we got your back."

"If he tries hurting me, there will be no need to worry. I would play the grieving widower yet again."

"You're terrifying."

Leon and I had a short conversation, but I'd see him much more often since he was leading the soldiers soon, taking over Liam's old position and my old position. He never wanted it before, but he wanted to stay close to everyone and the capital allowed that.

Still, it was short and sweet.

Liz, Devon and I discussed how life had been for us. Devon had found a wife, or a fiancée since I last saw him. And from how he and Liz described her, I couldn't have been happier for him. And Liz too. Both were doing well.

The last person I talked to for that last night was my father. We sat together in the sitting room, enjoying hot tea in a near silence. But... I liked it.

He had always been there for me and each day I remained thankful for it.

"Your mother would be proud of you."

The way he said it made my chest swell in pride. It was very fond land loving. After all this time, jot remarrying, yet choosing to love all of us and raise us... he loved her still. And his words were enough proof.

"You have her eyes," he added softly.

"I know. I... I actually saw her," I admitted. "In a dream."

My father perked at this, the fond smile still there. "That so?"

"She misses us, but she was reborn, same as Liam."

That took a bit more by surprise, "really?"

I nodded, "she was reborn as the mother I had in my past life. A single mother, raising her only son... but she's happy."

"Good. She was gone too soon, if she could be happy in another life like Liam... then that brings me joy."

I smiled at that. "You've always been my biggest supporter, I don't know if I could be where I am today without you."

"You're a good kid, you would've been fine with or without me," he praised. "Besides, you kids mean the world to me. No matter what path you take, I'll always be on your side."

"You have gone above and beyond what most parents do."

"I'm just doing what's natural for me."

I chuckled a bit. "When I was first born into this world, I was scared I'd have a bad time. But since being born, you've always treated me so kindly. A kindness I hadn't experienced before. So truly, thank you."

My father set his cup down, so I followed suit and he moved over, pulling me into a hug.

Once again, hugs weren't common, but it showed the affection he shared. A doting father to the end. So I hugged him back tightly, sad I'd have to leave.

"We'll visit often. And you better do the same."

"I will," I assured. "I love you guys too much to leave you all forever."

My father chuckled as he pulled away, smiling kinder than I'd ever seen him smile. "And all of us love you. I better see my grandkids when you and Damon adopt."

I laughed at that, "of course! We'd never keep them away. Surprised you knew I wanted to."

"You and Liam talked about it... so I knew you wanted kids."

"I still do. I'm not sure if Damon does, but if he does, I'm gladly adopting."

"Good. I wish you happiness Isaiah. You deserve it."

This was my final night as a Duke.

And while it seemed so impossibly short, it was so warm, a night I'd cherish for ages to come.