Chapter Seventeen

For the next year, our empire and the two kingdoms fought side by side in countless battles, and Liam and I had grown closer. Only the top knights and the royals knew of us, so most assumed I was still single.

Damon and I... we were on speaking terms again, but it was weird to call him by his name still. It didn't matter.

What mattered now was where I was.

The emperor sat at the table in front of me, his advisors flanking his sides.

"So what brings you today?" He asked.

"I'd like to ask a favor."

The emperor hummed out acknowledgment.

So I swallowed back the fear I had and let it burst like a broken damn. "Would you be willing to allow same sex marriages?"

"are you joking? Wasting the-"

The advisor was cut off. "You and Liam have gotten close." The emperor's tone was warm, genuine.

I smiled happily, an expression people usually didn't see. "He makes me very happy. I don't know if he's the one I'm meant to be with, but I love him. And I wish to marry him."

"Then no favor is needed. I will allow it, as long as I get an invite."

"Of course sir, I would never forget. Thank you."

"The empire will riot!" And advisor warned.

Surprisingly, the empire didn't seem convinced. "Many citizens have showed continuous support for him. If they choose to riot, then so be it."

"Why do you care so much for this boy?" The dame advisor sneered.

"He's not afraid to call me out, and he has always felt cared for my son, and helped him prosper. He's a good kid. So what if he only loves men? He's still Isaiah Reynolds, the most loyal man in the kingdom."

"I live to serve."

"As I said, see it done. If you need any help with the engagement, feel free to contact me for help."

"Thank you again your highness. May glory bless the empire." I bowed as I left, my heart leaping.

I could do it! I could get married! The emperor himself supported me! I felt on cloud nine the entire walk out.

Damon was waiting outside, "so, you're asking Liam to marry you?"

I nodded. "It's been over a year and I'm happy with him. I even asked his cousin if he was okay with me asking Liam."

"Like asking a father beforehand. Well, I suppose he supported you?"

"So far, yes. Though, an advisor seemed to really disagree with the notion, but the emperor shut him down."

Damon seemed pleased by that. "Well, I hope things go well for you two. I'm sure he'll accept your engagement."

"Ah, that actually reminds me. If he does accept, would you like to be my best man?"

Damon froze, and hurt flashed across his face for a fraction of a second...

Odd.

"I'd be honored. Are you heading home, or staying at the capital?"

"I'm out with my brothers and sister today. They have a social event soon and need a fitting."

"Aren't you happy that you don't have to attend most of those?"

"Every day. Have a nice evening your highness." I bowed and left for outside. My siblings were waiting, talking with some knights who seemed happy to see them.

As I walked up, the three all looked at me expectedly.

"Well, hopefully the emperor can pass it quick.. but he agreed."

"That's amazing!" They exclaimed excitedly.

They said goodbye to the curious knights as we all walked off.

"We should get fitted for the wedding as well then!" Rose whisper yelled.

I chuckled a bit at their enthusiasm, "he might not say yes."

"If he doesn't say yes, then I'll feel very lied to," James muttered. "He loves you more than any words can express, and you feel the same. You're meant to be."

"He can love me and not be ready," I reminded.

The three of them shook their heads, "he'll say yes for sure!"

I wasn't going to budge them on it, it seemed.

We got Rose fitted first. Her coming of age party was a month away, and that's their big fancy event. I'd be there as well, of course, but I already had plenty of suits I had yet to wear.

"What color scheme were you thinking?" Rose asked as she tried on her purple gown.

"Well, if all goes well, I was thinking something along blue and gold. Something both of us would stand out in."

"Dress code?" Jackson asked.

I shrugged, "I'm not sure yet. That's why getting fitted for it now isn't smart."

The fitter chuckled at the interaction, "big event?"

"I plan to get engaged soon. But I have no guarantee they'll say yes," I informed.

The fitter nodded, smiling a bit, "then it is a bit too early. Weddings should be discussed between the two involved. Though I'm sure they'll say yes to you."

"Hopefully. We've been courting each other for over a year."

"Well, you two will be fine, I'm sure."

I was thankful she didn't ask much else as we finished the fitting.

The boys fitting went well too, having everything sent home. Our final stop? A jewelry store to look for a ring.

Some of this worlds traditions were the same as my old one, thankfully.

Honesty, there wasn't much to see there. Nothing jumped out at me. So we left, planning to get a custom ring another day.

But... we were stopped.

Obviously it was a god, freckle splatter skin and king green eyes. He was sun kissed with gray hair thy was cut almost to the scalp. "Come now, you need a proper gift."

"Ah. You must be the God Fifvra."

The man nodded, "god of marriage and blessings. God of temptations and purity. So not only did I come to bless you, but I come with a gift. He pressed something to my palm and kissed my hand, vanishing In a Flash of light.

People around us who weren't accustomed to the gods random appearances, looks absolutely shocked, watching me with wide eyes.

Oh well. I opened my palm to find a rather beautiful ring. It was gold, with a silvery line through it that seemed to shimmer with a Million colors. Roses and swords were engraved into the gold delicately, and it was all together just extremely stunning.

Liam would like it.

I'd see him tomorrow, and that's when I'd ask him. Before news of a new law even spread.

I looked to my siblings, and they smiled at me confidently. Things would be alright.