Chapter Eighteen

It would take a week or two for a new law to go into effect, so I had to ask before then.

I didn't know how to if i was being honest. I wanted to be grand, but yet have it be a private moment between us.

And I was just confused the whole time.

Then i found myself stuck with him. We had discounted our horses after awhile so they could get water. It was a short trip to the capital, but we liked the scenic route. While we followed the horses, we somehow got knocked off our feet and fell down a small cliff.

No we were fine, but we were stuck.

We had a decent patch of land, stable too, but it did have a sudden drop to our deaths if we weren't careful enough.

So we leaned against the cliff, watching the sky, waiting for anyone.

"Hopefully they'll realize we've gone missing, you had plans in the capital," I said aloud.

Liam hummed in response, "and I'm never late."

That was true. He was always on time. A cute trait of his in the game to. Not that anyone really appreciated it.

I had him all to myself.

Especially so in this moment. We were leaning against each other, holding hands, my thumb making calm soothing circles across his knuckles.

I loved him.

He was the greatest thing that could've happened to me.

"I'm really glad I have you," I said softly.

Liam smiled at me, face filled with raw affection that was reserved for me. I loved the way he looked at me. It made me feel... loved. I felt warm and cared for in such a small glance.

"I'm lucky to have you," Liam said back.

I reached into my pocket with my free hand and turned towards him, placing it in our connected palms.

"I'm luckier. So lucky in fact, that I can't see my life without you. I would fight until my last breath to keep you with me. I would fight whoever necessary to keep you happy. So, Liam, will you accept me?"

I let go of his hand to reveal the ring.

He seemed awed by it. "Is this-"

"I'm asking you to marry me. I went to the emperor and asked him if he could let us marry if you accepted. And he said yes. So I'm asking you, will you marry me, and continue being a shining beacon in my life?"

His smile melted into a dopey grin, "you really do go quite grand, don't you."

"Only the best for you."

"Well," he started. "If we get out of here, of course. There's no one I'd rather have by my side." He slipped the ring on, still all smiles.

I leaned in and kissed him.

He happily cupped my face and kissed back.

"I see their horses! They must be close!"

That was quick.

"Oh, that was fast. It's barely been a Few hours," Liam said as he broke away.

Time really flew by with Liam.

"We're over here!" I shouted, the pair of us getting up.

We heard a rush of people coming over. Soon enough, my family, Damon, Finn and a few servants found us.

"You guys closet down there?" Devon joked.

Liam smiled and lifted a hand. He decided this would be the time to tell me the emperor is letting us get married."

The group let out a few cheers and it wasn't too long that all of us were out.

"You're quite quick to ask," Damon mentioned.

"Well, when the law is passed, it would be pretty obvious my plan. And I wanted it to be a surprise."

Liam simply laughed, "I was surprised indeed. About the meeting, is it still going on?"

"It's been rescheduled for tomorrow so we could find you," Finn informed liam. "You really are always punctual, so when you aren't there..."

"Glad it got us found quickly," I teased. Liam simply rolled his eyes, and all of us headed home. Liam staying at my place since it was convenient.

Well that and we were da- engaged. We were engaged.

I loved that so much more.

Honestly, I never felt pressured to be sexual or overly intimate with Liam, because being with him was natural. I'd imagine when we got married it would be a bit more sexual when we would share a room.

But as it was, I was satisfied with how we were.

"Where'd you get the ring? It's quite beautiful," Liam asked.

I hummed peacefully, " a god gave it to me. After failing to Find the perfect piece in a the jewelry store."

"The god has good tastes then."

I could agree there. They gave me their blessings and when life went wrong, seemingly pushed me towards Liam.

We were in my room, sitting on the loveseat near the balcony. Liam was simply admiring the ring. He wore it proudly, as he did most things.

My biggest fear going into this would be Liam wanting us to stay to ourselves and not let anyone know... but he always subverted expectations.

Liam led his life boldly when it came to his personal life. Even in the game he was bold. I guess I didn't think that would apply to our own relationship until he openly admitted we were dating.

"So, what exactly did you want to do for the wedding?" Liam asked.

I smiled kindly, "small, big, whatever you want."

He just chuckled and leaned into me, "well we both hate large functions, so why not just have it for family and friends?"

"I'm okay with that. Though the emperor said he's going no matter what."

He laughed even harder at that, "I can't say I'm surprised."

"Neither can I,"I admitted. "He's an interesting man for sure."

"The entire royal family is."

Yup. Which got me thinking. There were three other royals, and I've met them all before, I just never interacted with them much.

The younger princes and the illegitimate princess, born to a mistress.

Gross.

Cheating is so fucking dumb.

As it stood, only Damon was related to the late empress. His younger brothers were related to the late queen, and the youngest princess, again, was the daughter of a mistress.

Not important at the moment though.

"Well, we could still stay small. The royal family then family because all our friends are royals."

Liam pauses at that, "I hate to agree, but it seems so. Me and you are the only normal ones. Finn is a royal magician."

We laughed for a bit, then saw it was getting late. I still wanted him close to me. So I asked him, "would you like to stay the night?"

He cheeks went pink, "sharing a bed before marriage? The others would be scandalized." I knew he was joking by the snicker at the end.

"Just sleep. I don't want to let you out if my sight."

Liam shook his head, "your thoughts may be innocent, but mine are not. Our first night should be our first with everything."

I let out a defeated sigh, "alright, whatever you wish." I pecked his lips. He smiled at me before heading back to his room.

I wanted to marry him.

I wanted to have him so very much.