Chapter Eight

These formal events were always stuffy.

Victory banquet mashed into a coming of age party for Damon and I.

Of course.

I felt on edge, like every set of eyes rested on me, waiting for a mistake.

And they probably were. Rumors floated about how I carried a torch for one woman and one woman alone and waited until we were both of age to confess.

Half right. It was a man, but the rest was true.

I still knew this would end poorly for me.

"Ah, the crown prince wandered off at his own party," Finn teased.

I followed my eyes and glanced around, catching the briefest hint of him as he left for the gardens. "I think I'll find him before the emperor arrives."

"Good luck," Finn snorted.

Liam glanced at me worryingly, but I smiled, and moved on. this was the choice I chose, I had to accept it. No matter how much it hurt me.

I wandered the garden for a bit before i found him. He stood by a koi pond, watching the fish. He was alone, lost in thought.

"Damon, glad I found you," I said sincerely.

He glanced over, offering a smile, "shouldn't you be looking for that bride to be,"

I chuckled and shook my head, "I actually wanted to talk to you about something."

He quirked a brow upwards and he turned to me, crossing his arms. "Oh?"

My heart started racing at the words, and I felt my body shaking, even if it didn't show. "You are the most important person to me, nothing will change that. And no matter what, I'll always be happy to serve you. As a soldier, or a friend."

"Stop talking as if you're in your death bed," he joked. "So what is it you wanted to say?"

"I love you."

He paused, "what?"

"I love you. The person I've loved all my life has always been you. It's not brotherly, it's not familial. I want to hold your hand and hug you while you cry. I want to wake up every morning and sleep every night with you beside me. I love you."

"I-"

"You don't have to accept it. If you want me to, I'll vanish from your sights, but I needed to tell you. I love you Damon, and I always will."

I poured my heart out to him, and braved myself.

"You like men?"

Ah... "I do."

"Disgusting."

I winced at the words. He had malice in it. I could feel it's hate.

"Get out of my sight."

"I'm sorry," I got out as I walked away.

I expected this. I knew he'd reject me.

He never agreed with liking men...

So why does it sting so much?

I stopped just outside the garden and let out a sob, feeling the tears blossom in my eyes. It blurred my vision as I sobbed my heart out.

And time surely passed, maybe people saw me, but I didn't care.

But eventually, I needed to go back.

My eyes were surely swollen, even if my face wasn't bright red. I headed back, feeling hurt.

I drew attention, I definitely did.