Chapter Fifty Six

Meetings.

Ugh.

Since I was the emperor's husband, it meant I also attended many royal meetings to discuss laws and keep the peace. The emperor's spouse was expected to disengage and to calm those around them by their presence.

Though, my looks certainly were calming. Every day living in the castle and being pampered had certainly made me look more stunning than before. So it made sense why Damon was already gorgeous.

Though he did become even more sharp and handsome as time went by.

Besides the point, Damon and I were sat by each other as he led the meeting, proposing some new laws he wanted to implement.

Including adoption for same sex couples.

As it was, Damon was struggling to keep everyone on the same page.

"Your highness, you two adopting would be fine, but to allow others? What if they raise more children to be like them? The population would plummet!"

Damon glanced at me, asking for help. And so I did.

"My father isn't into men. Neither is my father in law. But I'm into men, my sister is into women. My husband into men, first prince Florian is into both. My cousin likes both, and his parents are into the opposite sex. Our family friend is into women, and her mother likes men. Where does it show that two men or two women will produce a gay child when straight parents produce them as is?"

The official was speechless.

"Do you know the banks? Who they're run by? Their names are Taylor and Ryan Breckson. They wish to adopt a child of their own someday. Kind souls. Ah, and I still recall Regina and Victoria Moore, they are some of the best tailors in the capital, outside of the royal tailors. They want to raise Victoria's daughter with a sibling. Of to have opportunities of surrogacy. Do you know the faces of our empire, or are you simply holding up traditional ideals that have been long since outdated."

Silence filled the air.

"I'm not a social person, this much is obvious," I said calmly. "But I do care about the citizens of the empire. Unlike most of you, I've served with many of them in battle, I've had to deliver the news to their family members. I don't think that people who don't know who live in this empire, should have any say in what the people in it do."

Again, silence.

I stood up, brushing off my pants, "you tax your people in your duchy, you're small inlets of land with people of your own. Yet you know nothing of them, nor do you care for them. Until Liam and I married, most people didn't take him seriously unless they were soldiers themselves. Many citizens are like him, fighting to be heard."

I glanced to Damon, who looked extremely proud of me, smiling brightly as if I spoke the most beautiful words known to man.

Perhaps I did.

"So what say you? A coward who wants to fight against love and family? What's so wrong with letting couples adopt?"

The ignorant noble shut up, afraid to say a word more.

"You know you aren't the emperor, right?"

"And I don't desire to be. My husband is a fantastic ruler, and the many people who adore him are multiple times larger than the people who don't. I don't wish to ever take his place. I detest my own formal title, but I'm happy to be his husband, so I take it."

"Besides, he led armies alongside me, I don't mind him taking charge from time to time with meetings. And I agree with him. Now, is there anything else? Any other words of protest, or are we finally in agreement to pass the adoption act?"

Damon was met with silence.

"Good. Now, I'm assuming with this, my anti-discrimination laws will also be accepted?"

They all looked scared to speak, eyeing the both of us as Damon pushed documents forward. They signed silently, a small victory for the day.

For the next hour, we discussed some more laws, and Damon was able to pass almost all of them without hassle. The officials and nobles were to scared to speak up again.

And as we were leaving, documents in hand, I could see some angry glares, so I simply turned to them and smiled, all the men in the room growing cold, pale, knowing the smile contained no compassion.

After we delivered to new laws, we resigned outside, sitting in the shade of a giant elm. We leaned against the bark, relaxing in the moments we were allowed to.

The guards were decently close by, just to make sure we were safe. I had gotten used to them. Sure, the lack of true privacy was annoying, but I understood why it was necessary.

"Thank you for the help in that meeting. I don't think I could have convinced them without you," he spoke softly, smiling at me with such tenderness that he had reserved for me and me alone.

I always melted at that smile of his. "You would've convinced them with or without me. You have this emperor thing down."

He laughed, throwing his head back as his body tumbled against mine. Such a joyous noise. "Thank you. But seriously, I appreciate you. Your love for then people of this empire, you passion, everything about you is just so wonderful, I cannot help but fall for you all over again."

"Don't sell yourself short," I spoke quickly. "You genuinely love your people, this empire as much of not more than I do. Before we got together, you wanted to change this empire for the better, and you've always been like that."

"Sometimes I forget you've always wished for me to be emperor," he said.

I laughed softly, kissing him swiftly. "You've always been the best person for the job, and I'll stand by that. Since day one, I knew you'd be great."

"I'm surprised you knew who the people we met were, they never gave their last names," he said, now inquisitive after our gushing.

"The banks have their employees, boss included, wear enameled pins, they wore it on their breast pockets. I remembered the names of one of the leaders, and knew it matched the two we met."

"Well, the good news should be spread tomorrow, we should go out for a stroll then."

"That sounds amazing. I can't wait."