Chapter Five

I woke up crying. I barely remembered why.

Devon.

Wherever you were, I hope you're well.

My heart still loved him. But my heart ached anew. It would probably break all the same.

"You alright Isaiah?"

Huh?

Damon was still there. He looked so worried. His brows were furrowed and his eyes were scared. As if I'd leave him.

"I'm alright. Just... overwhelmed I guess."

Damon's fear relaxed and he smiled kindly, "you gave us all a fright."

"Scared me too. The world seems fine now."

"Good," he said with a calm sigh.

We sat in a long silence as I gathered my thoughts. Then, out of the blue, "do you believe in reincarnation? Or past lives?"

Fuck, that must've sounded so strange. Of course he wouldn't!

Damon was a bit taken aback by that, "past lives?" He let it simmer for a minute, "well, I suppose anything is possible, why?"

"Nothing important, I was just curious."

"Mhmm? Well, if you're feeling better, you should tell your family. Since they got back for break."

"All of them?"

Damon nodded, "yes all of them."

"They're all such worrywarts."

"That they are."

Damon smiled again, reaching over and ruffling my hair. "I should head home, my father must be worried. But, I wanted to make sure you were alright."

I smiled thankfully, "I appreciate it. Please stay safe on your way home."

"I will." And he left my room as I gathered my bears, getting on my own two feet.

I was dressed in casual nightwear, so a maid must've changed me while I was sleeping.

Either way, I left my room, my legs still feeling pretty weak.

I knew where my family was, and I went to them. They were in the sitting room, all worried, until I walked in, looking a bit tired, but a lot better.

"Isaiah!"

For some reason, I felt... sick again.

There was my father, my brothers, my sister... and my cousin, who I'd never really met before.

He was so familiar and i couldn't place it.

Names, names!

My father was Quinton.

My sister was Rose.

My two brothers were Jackson and James.

My cousin...

Devon.

No.

No, that couldn't be right.

"You are doing better, right?" My father fret.

I nodded, "just a bit out of it I suppose."

"Shouldn't be running around already, we can burning you food, so you should just go back and rest," Devon suggested.

"I'm fine I assured.

My father seemed wary, "you can rest for the remainder of the day. Your health comes first."

"But-"

Devon interrupted, "uncle is right, high need more rest. I'll walk you back." He walked up to me and grabbed my elbow, dragging me out.

He didn't say anything until we were out of earshot, "didn't expect to see you here Alex."

"Holy fuck, is it really you Devon?"

He nodded as we walked. "Since I came here after I died, what happened to you?"

"I fell out a window," I informed blankly. He seemed confused and a bit stunned. "I was waning in a window at work and it was unlocked. I fell to my death and woke up here."

"Oh, that's, sorry."

"It was quick and painless. You had it worse."

He smiled sadly, "too bad we're cousins in this life. I would've loved to hear your confession again."

I laughed as we headed to my room, "you wouldn't have gotten it. I kinda fell for someone else."

"Oh?"

"Uh, prince Damon. I don't know if I'll ever say anything though."

"I'll support you no matter what." He paused for a moment, "did you... ever move on after I died?"

"No. I had opportunities, but you know the type of man I am. It's really hard for me to recover from heartbreak."

Devon sighed, "I know. You deserve to be happy, so it's frustrating to know you didn't give yourself the chance."

I wasn't really giving myself a chance here as well.

Judging from his sudden stop, I guess he assumed that. "You don't plan to be alone for your entire life?"

"I appreciated he concern, but it's my life. If my heart shatters, I'll let it. I'm not going to attempt to find love where it doesn't exist."

"Al-"

"Isaiah. This isn't our past lives. Besides, you should try your best to live your life out here, I'll live mine how I do wish. Goodnight." I walked into my room, shutting the door behind me.

To think Devon had ask reincarnated in this stupid game.

My past life felt so blurry for the most part, but with him, i was just overly aware of it.

Devon died from Cancer. Lung cancer. He was a victim of second hand smoke his whole life and he got hit hard by its effects.

I had confessed I loved him while clutching his hand.

He smiled as the monitor beeped and said, "I love you too." And the. He flatlined, his muscles going slack against mine.

I cried for weeks, months, over it. I had the hardest time moving on. But while i retained my memories from my previous life, I forgot Devon.

Seeing him again... I felt nothing.

Not like I used to feel.

What I felt for Damon...

My heart ached at the thought of him ever returning my love.

I knew the second I told him, he'd reject me, but I hoped. I'd be happy with him. So every day approaching my twenty first, I'd hope.

It was going to hurt, because I knew Damon didn't like men, but maybe he'd like me.

There were definitely others.

At least with Elliot I could attempt love. Liam seemed to care for me, ass did Finn,

Yet I couldn't stop thinking about Damon.

From the minute I saw him, I fell. And it was superficial at first. We were kids and he was cute and I liked him.

But... his smile, his laugh, the way the sides of his eyes crinkle up when he's happy. All of him made me happy.

I was okay with it being unrequited. I just wanted to be by his side.

I knew better, but I couldn't help it.

Fuck