Chapter Thirty

We didn't talk the entire trip back. We both had a lot on our mind.

After our report with the emperor, I went back home, and I felt lost.

And seemingly, like the universe heard my call, I drifted to sleep and was met with the familiar and not so familiar face of Liam, who seemed to actually be looking at me this time.

"You look tired."

I chuckled, sitting up, "I am."

"I hate to say it, but I told you so."

"Yeah, I know. I just didn't expect he'd ever tell me," I admitted.

Liam shrugged a bit, "well, whatever happens, I'll support you. You're allowed to move on."

"I know. I just don't want to get in his way of becoming emperor."

He sighed at that, putting a hand on my cheek. "We broke barriers falling in love. If you want to be with Damon, then breaking barriers is going to happen. He won't take being dethroned lightly, and he will fight for you, so why not give him a chance?"

"I'm sacred."

"I know. And so is he. Talk to him. Talk to Leon, your family, Liz, all of them. Let them help you work this out. You deserve to be happy."

"I still wish you were here Liam."

He smiled sadly, "I know. I miss you too."

"I know I need to talk to them, but how do I bring it up?"

"He confessed to you, lead with that."

I chuckled lightly, " you make it sound so easy."

"Well, it's easier from an outside perspective. But you should wake up before someone barges into your room. Our room. That room."

"Alright, I love you."

"I love you too. This will be the last time we see each other, so please, be happy for me."

"I will. And you be happy too. For yourself, because you deserve it."

"You're such a sap." Liam pulls me close and gives me our true final kiss. It's not romantic, just sorrowful and full of love. This was goodbye. Truly. No more gifts from the gods, no advice from beyond. We'd never see each other again.

It hurt, but when I saw Liam smiling the was he did, knowing what he was returning to, I couldn't help but feel happy that he'd get to live his life.

And then I was in my room, a knock on the bedroom door.

I went to answer it, seeing my father, who seemed a bit worried.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

"Can I ask for some advice?"

My father smiled a bit, "anytime."

And so, me and him found a place in one of the sitting rooms, drinking tea while I collected my thoughts.

"So, prince Damon was on that trip with me, and we talked at the last castle we went to. Small things, and he told me how he might become emperor soon."

"That's good for him. He'd make a great leader."

I chuckled lightly, nodding in agreement. "Definitely. He ran some of the laws he wished to pass by me and everything was fine. But..."

"But what?"

"He told me he loved me. He confessed."

My father stilled a moment before lowering his cup to the plate in his hand. "He did?"

"Yes. I told him I wasn't sure I could be with him, but I've been so confused about the whole thing."

"You love him?"

"Of course! Not as much as I loved Liam, since he was my husband, bu-"

He interrupted me, "what's holding you back?"

"He's going to be emperor. As much as the emperor supports me, I don't think he wants me to marry Prince Damon. And I just don't think the people will be happy with me marrying him. I know we'd just be dating, but I'd want to marry him if we dated."

"I know. And with the emperor thing... I'm not to sure myself what would happen, but if you truly love him, care about him, it's one of those battles you'll have to make."

I set my tea down on the plate, then the table, "why does love have to be complicated?"

"You're the strongest person in the empire, sought after by men and women alike. You have connections and you stopped an entire war with a. Single cry. Unfortunately, that makes life difficult at times."

Ah yes, the life of an overpowered protagonist. That was what my life had come down to.

Nothing aligned with the game anymore, it was all thrown out of order. Liam and Demon in the game never expressed interest in anyone other than the protagonist. Finn, Elliot and Tim were much more prominent characters in the story then they were in my actual life. Everything was strange.

Yet, I liked how my story was, up until Liam's death, but I was recovering.

"What if he regrets it?"

"Regrets what?"

I sighed heavily, looking at my hands. "Regrets losing his crown because of me. Or regrets being with me in general.. what if he regrets putting so much time into me. What if-"

"The prince can be harsh at times, but after everything he's learned, after all he's been able to improve on, I could tell you that he'd never regret you."

My father's smile could always light up the room. And I appreciated every ounce of affection he put my way. I was very lucky that my father was such a. Supportive man who bettered himself for me and my siblings.

"You always know exactly what to say."

"I always try." I picked my tea back up, and the two of us finished it. "You're the best father I could've asked for."

"Thank you. And you and your siblings are the best kids I could've asked for. No matter what, I'll always love each and every one of you."

"And you'll never know how much that means to me. Thank you. I couldn't do what I do without you and everyone's support."

"We love you, and we'll always be on your side. So, are you going to talk to Damon?"

I nodded, "I will. We definitely need to talk."