Chapter Twenty Six

I didn't shut myself out from my family this time.

It wasn't healthy and Liam would've hated me shutting them out. So I didn't. I ate breakfast with them, lunch, dinner.

They were glad I was letting them in.

They didn't mention Liam around me, but they were sad too. Liam was their brother for the past year, a new addition to the family, and he was gone overnight.

The hardest part of everything was the letters and gifts the public sent.

So many letters mourning his loss.

Each a painful reminder. I was just glad the public wasn't angry at me for the whole ordeal.

As the day of the funeral arrived, I was glad I kept it small. It was held in our home, family, friends and soldiers came, but that was it. We all wanted to mourn him. He was a great man, and I think we all wanted him to still be there.

The whole event seemed hazy. I couldn't quite piece together the words people said to me. And I think a few of them caught on.

I wasn't this put together image. I was drained, tired, beaten down. I looked sad.

It was the weakest I ever allowed in front of others, and they could tell.

Soldiers gave me their condolences, but I was otherwise left alone.

"It's the end of an era, but you'll being another one in time."

We're all the gods and goddesses just going to reappear?

"Lady Annus, what brings you?" I asked politely.

She smiled at looked towards the casket, "I know it's painful my dear, but you'll find your second soulmate. And Liam will find you I'm every lifetime."

I knew she was right, but I didn't know what to tell her.

"I came to grieve with you. Whenever a kind soul like his dies, we mourn. When you die, it will be the biggest tragedy among us, but you have quite some time before even worrying about that."

"It still doesn't feel real. I knew he's gone, but I keep expecting him to walk in and crack a joke or tell me how much he cares about me."

"Loss is a hard thing to overcome," she said softly. "He was a good man, he'll be blessed in the next life. I can promise you that much."

"I know. Whoever he is, he becomes, I'll still love him, and I pray he finds happiness."

She smiled thoughtfully, "a pure soul indeed." She noticed something behind me, and her smile softened. "You should know, despite some people's misgivings, you have been blessed with the people you have found."

She vanished as quickly as she appeared, as a hand was placed on my shoulder.

"You don't have to stay if you don't want to, we all know this is tough on you."

Damon.

We hadn't truly talked for awhile s a long while. He had become a background character in my story. I'd been a shit friend since we reconciled.

"No, I should stay. We all cared about him, and being here together is what he would've wanted."

Damon sighed, "you're right, but if it ever gets overwhelming, don't be afraid to step out."

"Thank you."

Silence spread across us for the next few minutes, but Damon didn't moved, he stayed beside me.

He glanced towards the casket, "war sucks."

"It does."

He shook his head, "no, I mean- war as a general-"

"I know. We can't save everyone, but that doesn't change the pain, or make it easier for others to."

He nodded thoughtfully. "I hope when I succeed my father, I can lessen our wars, lessen the casualties that we always seem to face, so we don't lose people like Liam."

"You can do it, I'm sure," I supported. "You'll be a fantastic emperor after your father. Though, he might be waiting until you marry to let you succeed."

"Probably. It's not important right now. How have you been holding up?"

I shrugged, "I'm not too sure. I'm sorta numb to everything. I don't quite... feel it. But it hurts, a pain inside my heart and my heart alone feels like my heart is freezing over."

"He meant the world to you, it makes sense."

"I know he wouldn't want me to be depressed I've this. He wanted me happy, but it's still hard letting it sink in."

He nodded, looking around a bit, seeing soldier eyeing him. I caught their looks towards him. Confused mostly. The soldiers knew the pair of us were talking again? But I wondered why they seemed so frazzled.

He shook his head, sending a gore their way.

"What's that about?" I asked.

Damon sighed a bit, "some people think ill of me still. I can't say I blame them after the hell I put your through years ago, but they don't like us chummy."

That felt off, like it wasn't the whole story, but I was to mentally drained it be bothered by it. "They're just upset. We all cared about Liam and they know how vocal he was about things he disliked."

"He really tore me a new one."

"Yes," I agreed. "He really did." I saw Leon finish a conversation and nod at me. "Looks like Leon wants to talk, it's a pleasure as always prince Damon." I walked away towards Leon, who felt like another brother to me. He was basically Liam's brother, even though they were only cousins.

"Sorry to bug you about this, but the soldiers want to hear a few words from you."

Of course they did. "I'm not surprised."

"You don't have to, I can tell them-"

I shook my head. "No, I know what to say." I walked over to Liam's casket, placing a hand on it.

I knew eyes followed. I could tell.

"Rest easy." It was so quiet that no one heard me. I turned to my guests, everyone staring at me. The sea of black was almost nauseating, but it was expected when it came to things such as this.

"Liam may have died, but the goddess Nia was kind enough to bless him before he went, as she blessed me, my cousin, and my dear friend Elizabeth. As the three of us were reborn here, he was reborn into my previous world. So he's alive, just not with us. And he'll live without monsters, or demons, no empires or monarchies. He'll live a life a lot of us could only wish."

I looked back at the casket again. I almost could feel Liam's smile as I talked.

"It hurts. For all of us. He was a good man, a leader, a friend, and he made ever day so much more alive. I know I'm not the person you thought he'd marry. I'm aware that some of you may spite me because of it all, but I'll miss him too. Whatever he faces in this new world, I want him happy. We can mourn his death, and celebrate the new life he will get to live."

I could sense people wanted more than that. I knew that well enough.

"If you want to know his last words, you're not entitled to them, and they won't make you happier. He died in my arms, as I begged him to hold on. He smiled, laughed, and told me he loved me, and I should be happy." As I looked around, I could see a bit of shock in their eyes. "I love you Isaiah. I love you more than anyone or anything. Be happy for me." I bit back the scream. "That's what he said. That's his last words. It wasn't a cry to action or a battle cry. It wasn't regretful. Whatever you were expecting, he was just a man like me, like you."

I felt angry all the sudden. And everything hurt once more.

"Love transcends most things in life, and my husband was no different. You say you support me, us, then seem angry. I know some of you aren't used to this. I'm scared, I'm upset, I'm depressed. I locate the only person who made me feel normal. So please, as much as distancing yourself has helped, stop."

And I left.

I rushed out.

I couldn't deal with the pain anymore and I left.