Chapter Twenty Three

The new big bad was a rival kingdom. Well, multiple ones. Four kingdoms had formed a seasonal treaty, becoming allies to take down the empire.

They had legions of undead and demons summoned from the pits of hell itself. Nothing about their army seemed humane or just.

Though, it was good target practice for the army, who swiped through many enmities with ease.

Finn and Damon even seemed bored of it all.

We still had to clear the area so no civilians got hurt.

And everything was fine.

Until we got closer to the borders.

The monsters and demons were more like horrors, abominations that were spewing masses of eyes and arms. They all groaned as of in pain, and after one was successfully slaughtered, it was seem multiple corpses that made it up.

So the rivaling kingdoms were using blood magic to attack? Decrying the very laws of nature to get us back. Blood magic was forbidden for a reason.

The demons being there made a lot more sense.

And we fought with all we had. One of the larger demons hit me pretty hard, and I was carried off the field into the makeshift hospital we set up, the nurses and doctors fussing over me.

I was struck by my left hip, unable to feel anything in the left leg. Hopefully I'd be better with rest, but I wanted to be back out there.

The goddess Nia appeared before me, her face sad as she sat by my bed. The nurses and doctors were out of the room, so it was just us.

"Goddess? What brings you?" I asked.

She turned to look at me, grabbing my hand, "I'm sorry my child, I'm taking a blessed one to a new life today."

"I'm dying?" I asked in confusion.

She shook her head, "not you my dear. Not you. I can't do anything about it except guide them to their next life. But let Xiv allow you to see them. You need that, I already know."

And then it hit me. And I felt my eyes burn as I held back tears. "No. You're lying. Liam did nothing to deserve this!"

"I know. I know darling. I wish I could do something."

I pushed myself up as the goddess vanished, and grabbed crutches, rushing out the room with pain suddenly shooting Yo my left leg.

"What are you doing-"

I interrupted the doctor. "Liam is in danger, I have to help."

I ignored the cries after me, and rushed out, letting the pain grow numb with every new step.

The battle field was hectic, and there were more casualties then I had ever seen before. And I saw Liam, facing a demon. This one was strong, no doubt. I rushed as he stabbed the being in its core. It scattered like dust, but not before piercing through Liam's body.

"LIAM!" I screamed out, rushing over and dropping next to him, pulling him to me.

"Isaiah?"

"Shhh, you'll be alright, we can get you too the doctors and they can patch you up-" I told him, rushed in tone.

He laughed, coughing a bit, blood splattering on his shirt. "I don't think I'll make it."

"You have to, you have to! You're my soulmate Liam. Please don't leave me."

He smiled sadly, placing a hand on my cheek, wiping at the water that leaked from my eyes, "I don't want to. I love you. And I always will."

"Then let's get you-"