Chapter Forty Five

The permission came a few days later. And when I told my brothers, they were shocked, but happy and excited. So my duties were being transferred to them. The official title change would come on my wedding day.

Still, that meant I had a lot more freedom in the days before both the coronation and the wedding.

Most of that time I spent getting my things together that I'd take with me, and spending time with my family. They'd be able to visit anytime, but still, we'd see each other a lot less.

And when not with family, I was studying up on current events and royal traditions I'd become a part of. I retained the information extremely quickly, so it wasn't an issue.

Then came my final day as a trainer for the knights. After that day, I'd technically be forbidden from doing so. Totality can't train the knights. Damon participated in training, but never taught it. They had private lessons to learn to protect themselves.

I did figure out a way around it sparring. There was no rule against the royals sparring with the soldiers. Besides, o was plenty strong as it was, so I didn't need to worry about protection.

I was dressed in my regular training gear, and just like before, the soldiers and passerby's couldn't help but stare.

As it was, everyone was eating lunch, so I was relaxing and eating as the soldiers stared and mingled.

"So, you excited for your wedding?" A soldier asked.

I smiled sweetly at the thought of my wedding, "I am. Of course I'm nervous about the whole thing, but excited."

"What do we call you then? You won't be a Duke anymore."

"Still wondering myself," I admitted. "Don't really care for the royal title. So far I've only thought about his highness but that's so stuffy."

The soldiers chuckled at my displeased face. "Well, you will make an interesting royal for sure."

"Dressing down won't be an option anymore. Dress to impress. Ah, but the royal seamstress has said she'd work around my... unusual tastes."

Unusual meaning comfortable, which they seemed to understand.

I saw them catch something behind me, a shadow quickly cast above me. "Sneaking up on me your highness?" I teased.

"Will you ever give that joke a rest?" He groaned as I looked up at him.

"No," I assured. "After all, your his royal highness."

He shook his head and moved to sit besides me. I made room for him as we sat together.

"So-"

"We weren't gossiping, rest assured," I teased.

He rolled his eyes at the suggestion. "Not what I was wondering. I was wondering why you're allowed to not go to the meeting with the royals."

"Could it be since we aren't married yet I'm not a royal yet?"

"He has you there your majesty," a soldier blurted.

"Haha. I barely managed to sneak away."

"They're going to notice you aren't there Damon. You become emperor in less than a week."

"I'm aware. But they're all frustrating to deal with." He turned to the soldiers, "so I'm borrowing Duke Reynolds for a minute."

"Wha-!" In one swift move, I was following him away from ten soldiers.

We didn't go far, just barely out of view of the soldiers.

"What-"

"I came to recharge." He yanked me against him and captured my lips in a Chaste and heated kiss that left me almost falling into him. I stood my ground and kissed him back just as eagerly.

When we pulled away, he was smiling as wide as ever. "I'm so happy that you'll be my husband soon."

"I'm happy too."

"I should head back to the meeting before they send guards looking for me. See you tonight Isiah."

"See you tonight. You bette don't step on my toes."

"I won't, I won't. I love you."

I cupped his cheek and pecked his lips another time, "I love you too." He left for the meeting and I returned to the soldiers, who looked at me in disbelief.

"Did he really steal you away to kiss you?"

"Shit, didn't realize we were still in view."

The soldier chuckled a bit at that. "We all know you're a couple, he didn't have to pull you away if he wanted to kiss you."

"Old habits die hard."

And it was true. But it was mostly just wanting a moment to ourselves, at least what I was assuming. Though, we'd have plenty of that soon enough.

"Have you two ever done more than kissing?"

"Not that it's any of your business," I started, glaring the solider down. "No."

"You two have a great chemistry, so it's pretty hard to believe."

"Just do you know, the more you pry, the more of an arse I'm going to be while you train. Besides, I wanted to wait until marriage."

"We're you like that with general Liam?"

"Why is that everyone brings up my dead husbands?" I muttered. "Yes. It was the same."

"It's not kind to bring up the person they lost," another soldier berated, snaking the offending soldier in question.

The solider paled, "I'm so sorry sir! It was insensitive of me to do so."

"It's fine," I said with a heavy sigh. "I've gotten kinda used to people constantly trying to ask that."

"Wait, people ask about your late husband a lot?"

I nodded. "I was very in love with him and because of that, a few people doubt my relationship with prince Damon. I mean for one, I'm not a virgin, and people consider me impure because of it."

"You're not?"

"I was married before, remember?"

"Oh, right."

I glanced to where Damon went, wishing he was back already. "The best thing about me getting married to Prince Damon is people won't doubt our relationship anymore."

The soldiers looked lost bewildered at the thought, "you two obviously love each other, why would people doubt that?"

"Well, when people are confronted with something that doesn't align with them, their beliefs, their ideals, they seek to destroy it. They lash out," I explained. "Women deal with periods of time where they bleed profusely . Most men don't want to talk about it, they don't go through it. So they ignore the suffering girl to pretend it doesn't exist."

"It is pretty gross."

"Yes, but imagine how they just feel. As long as they are able to hear children, they bleed. It can be irregular and cause problems for them later on in life and be life threatening."

"For someone who likes guys, you're heated about female issues," a solider joked.

"Besides the point. People want to change what they don't understand. And most people don't get why I love the prince or why he loves me. They see it being fruitless."

"That's stupid," the soldiers roared. "You deserve to be happy."

I smiled at their words, touched by them. "Well, lunch break is over, we should get back to training, this will be the last time officially."

They all hurriedly nodded and got Into place.

Best not to anger the soon to be spouse of the new emperor.