Chapter Fifty Seven

Since we were recognized last time, we had to use different disguises. That was easy enough. It was the only way to go into town without guards, so I'd put up with it.

It was wonderful to go out and about without having people stare at us the whole time. So we went place to place, seeing if we could hear the gossip of the new news. The bakery we went to before we got married gave us our first bit.

I was buying a muffin and the baker noticed how close Damon and I are. "Are you two dating?" He asked.

"Married actually," Damon admitted.

"Well congrats then! Have you heard the new law the emperor passed?"

"The one about adoption?" I supplied.

"That would be it!" He said heartily. "You two planning on adopting yourselves?"

The two of us nodded. "I've always wanted kids."

"Same here," Damon said, agreeing.

"Than that's great. The new emperor is doing good so far. I already liked his education reform when he first came into power, but he does seem to care about us little guys."

I smiled happily at that. "Definitely. I don't think there's anyone better for the position!"

"I can agree with you there. And I see you really like that muffin?"

"Ah!" I squeaked. "Sorry, the food here is so good. My husband showed me this place before we got married, and I just had to come back."

"Thank you! Though, I've never seen you two in here before," he prodded.

Damon supplied him with why, "oh. We're in disguises since we're running some errands. Guards are a bit..."

"I understand it, but you and I are strong enough. especially after what happened during our honeymoon."

The baker realized what we meant. "Oh! I-"

"We wanted to see some people, so we're running out and about. Damon, you should order catering from here for my birthday."

"Should I?" He teased. "Am I able to actually do that now? I carry the seal on my so you can confirm the order at the palace."

"I- I'd be honored."

We stayed in that shop for a about half an hour before setting off again.

"I think you shocked the baker," I joked as we walked, holding a bag of fresh bread. A gift from said baker.

"You were the one to ask for catering."

"You know you spoil me?" I teased.

He didn't say anything, but I could tell he knew, and didn't plan on stopping anytime soon. We stopped at a Few places, even ate lunch.

Then we decided to go to the bank to pay a visit to Ryan and Taylor, to see their reactions. They seemed like a sweet couple in our brief interaction with them.

The bank was surprisingly modern. More modern than I was used to for this world. Sleek, minimalist designs, all clean and tidy.

It was slightly off putting.

A clerk walked up to us, all smiled, "how can I help you lively folk today?"

"Oh, we actually came to speak to Ryan and Taylor Breckson," I informed.

"Oh, do they know you're coming?" She asked.

Damon shook his head, "it's a surprise visit. Could you tell them that the couple from the festival is here? I'm sure they'll know what we mean."

She looked a bit confused, but nodded, heading to tell them.

"Such a vague way of telling them. What if they confuse you for someone else?" I joked glancing at Damon.

He simply shrugged, both of us watching the women come back. "Though I don't thing they did."

"They said they'd be delighted to see you, I'll take you to them right now." We followed her down a maze of halls to a small room. It looked like a regular tea room, the two men were sitting besides each other drinking tea. Their closeness mimicked how me and Damon usually were.

They greeted us kindly and we sat down, the clerk soon leaving.

"Uh, new disguises?" Ryan asked.

"Ah, yes. I'd get rid of them but it's drains a lot of my mana that I wouldn't be able to reapply the illusion for a few hours," I informed.

"Wait, it's magic?" Taylor stuttered out.

Damon nodded, "Isaiah is rather good with illusion magic. But he doesn't use it often because it's the most physically draining. It does wear off after awhile, like at the festival."

"Do you use magic a lot?" They asked.

"Not really. When at war, I used it a lot, but nowadays I don't. I've only used it a few times when my life or others lives have been in danger. And to disguise ourselves."

"Ah, I forgot you were a general," Taylor remarked.

"Most people do. I trained. Is today the guards who are tasked to watch over us, so it seems counterintuitive."

Damon seemed to agree there. "We thought we'd pay you both a visit since you seemed so nice last time."

"We're honored," Taylor rushed. "How did you know we owned the bank though?"

I patted my chest, "your pins. All employees from here wear them."

The two looked at where I gestured to and realized I was talking about their pins there.

"Wow, never would've thought it would be that easy..." Ryan admitted.

"I'm just observant."

"Guess so. And we heard about the laws you both passed, can't believe adoption is now going to be something we're able to do." Taylor said it with such genuine appreciation, it was easy to tell the pair really wanted to raise kids together.

If the law allowed more people to be genuinely happy like that, then people would get used to it.

Ryan spoke next, wrapping an arm around Taylor, "if you had tried this two years ago, it would've been so much harder to garner support. But you two... you are amazing. Thank you."

Pride swelled inside me, and I just felt joy from their own happiness. "How many kids did you two plan on adopting?" I asked.

"Just one, I think to start getting used to raising kids. Ideally though, three," Ryan admitted.

I wanted four. Maybe it was because Damon and I both came from four sibling households, but it just felt like a good number.

"When do you two plan to adopt?" Taylor pressed.

"Not sure yet," Damon admitted. "We want to get to our new jobs and life first before trying to bring a child in. Less chaotic that way at least.l

"Fair enough. We do wish you both a happy marriage, once again."

We stayed for a little while longer, just trying to get to know the people of the capital more, and after we left, we still continued to do that. We wanted to know our people.

By the time we made it back to the palace, our disguises had finally worn off and we were both tired, but we knew so much more about our people