Chapter Thirty Nine

The day of the big announcement came a month later. A grand ball was to be held for many important officials through the empire, people who could quickly spread news.

My entire family decided to come, including Damon. And obviously Leon and Liz came. So did foreign royals, such and Tim and Elijah.

So it really would be the event of the year.

The ball room was dressed more frivolously than it was in past events, sparkling and pristine. Everything about the whole event screamed of importance.

Even the food was much better than usual.

As such, the people gathered were also dressed up exquisitely.

Genuinely, it was the sturdiest event I went to.

Seeing the eyes draw to me, it was the best dressed I was as well. Though, I did tailor a custom made corset vest, so it did help my figure and myself look stunning.

I personally thought Damon looked better. He was sat at the thrones with his family, each having to stay there as the party goers conversed, talking amongst themselves.

But Damon... he was wearing blue. Not a dark one, but a more sea foam blue, light, almost white, with dark accents along the angles of the suit, textured white patterns along every single space. Adorned with gold buttons and chains, seemingly like a fairytale prince.

I adored him so.

Though I did my best not to stare.

I instead did some mingling. I still hated it, but seeing as my boyfriend was about to inherit the throne... I should be a bit more social.

"I heard you have a new partner?" A fellow noble asked.

I smiled kindly, "we've been together a little over a year now."

"Do you plan on going public anytime soon?" They asked curiously.

"Maybe. We're really just waiting for the right time."

The noble nodded, understanding.

I actually had almost the same exact conversation with fifteen separate nobles. They really felt inclined to know why news of who I was with wasn't public information.

Thankfully, I was spared from more of this by the emperor getting everyone's attention.

Everyone made sure to give him their full attention.

"Now, many of you are probably wondering why I decided to hold such an elaborate event."

He was always extra but yes, people were curious since this was too much, even for him.

"I have loved being this empire's emperor, and I'm very happy to have the children I do, happy to the changes we've made, the people we met and who we fought for. To the ones we lost and those still with us."

He paused to let everyone take a second to think of their loved ones.

"It's no secret I'm not always the best ruler, time and time again, I had to be told off by some kid who knew me better than most."

Eyes glanced my way, and I simply gave a curt nod to it.

The emperor chuckled. "I'm not one for politics, or meetings, but I tried my best. Though, I am now stepping down from the throne."

Some loud protests were heard, but quickly silenced at the Emperors glare.

"Prince Damon has been training for this his whole life, and has already taken over a few of my duties. And as many have told me, he will make an excellent emperor. I hope all of you will agree with time."

Damon smiled at his fathers words.

"This party also serves another purpose. As many of you know, emperors are normally married when taking the position and I hope my son can find a wife... or husband among you."

Oh! Unexpected he'd be okay with his son liking men.

Good.

Wait, he had to get married?

"Father, a party isn't needed, I'm seeing someone already!" Damon blurred rather loudly. His face flushed as every eye fluttered to him. He picked mine out in the crowd and I gave a quick warm smile, reassuring him that whatever he said next, I'd be okay with.

"Oh?" The emperor spoke, rather surprised. "For how long has this been going on?"

"Around a year. We've been trying to keep it secret."

"Why is that?"

Damon awkwardly shrugged, "well, I'm a public figure and they liked privacy. That and they wanted what's best for me and didn't want to threaten my claim to the throne."

"Well, can we meet who has won your heart?" The emperor asked.

He nodded and looked out into the crowd, starting his decent into it. People were surprised his beloved was in the crowd. He weaved through it, knowing exactly where I stood. Space cleared around him to make his path and his beloved clear.

Eyes followed him close as he finally reached me. The me who smiled so tenderly as I once did with Liam.

"This isn't how you probably wanted this to go," he apologized.

"I don't care. If you think it's time, than that's alright."

He looked back at his father who seemed rather amused, "I had my suspicions, but to see that they were true..."

Damon laughed awkwardly, turning back to me. "I know you hate most public things, but I actually was planning on giving you this later. As he held my hands, he dropped to his knee and my face felt hot at what was currently unfolding.

No one knew what to say as Damon brought out the most stunning ring I'd ever seen, apart from Liam's that a god gave me. A gold band in the simplest terms, but weaved together like silk, decorated in diamonds. I was speechless.

"Isaiah, will you stay by my side as my husband? Help me lead and be my heart? Through tough times and easy times, will you allow me a place by your side as I want you by mine?"

I couldn't help but grin at that, "you're cheesy, you know that?"

"I planned out a better speech but actually forgot it all," he admitted.

"Then tell me it later, and all your other speeches, because of course."

Damon Rose to his feet and slid the ring on me, pulling me in for a kiss.

My family, including Leon and Liz and even including Finn, clapped for me, cheering. The nobles who were shocked and the foreign royals weren't quite sure how to react until the emperor himself clapped. Soon, we were meant with thunderous applause.

I hardly cared, because Damon was here, holding me close.

I was always weak when it came to the people I loved. When he pulled away, I wanted to pull him back for more, so I did, throwing my arms around him for another kiss. It was shorter, but still showed that I loved him as he loved me.

"I hope you realize you're stuck with me," I joked as we pulled apart.

"I know, wouldn't have it any other way."