Chapter Twenty Seven

After my speech at the funeral, a lot more people wanted to give me space.

Every public event I went to was a bit difficult to look my way, even more so then in the past. Damon and Finn had taken to being my friends again, truly, as they always came to visit when they weren't busy. Elliot and Tim also went out of their way to make sure I was doing alright.

I was healing. No one saw that, but I was.

I had shifted back to my room. The one I shared with Liam. And while it hurt that he wasn't there, I felt him.

He was still with me, in my heart, and I'd move forward for him. So while I seemed miserable to onlookers, I was picking myself back up.

As it was, after a year, I let myself go out more. And I turned twenty five.

And on my birthday, I was given a gift. In my dreams I saw the man I missed so dearly.

He looked different, but I knew who he was in an instant.

He was eighteen, I knew that. His hair still bright red, but this was because it was dyed so. I could see his dark roots. And his eyes were a strong gray. But still, I knew from his smile who he was.

I couldn't reach him, but I saw him. And I saw myself. Alex.

"I swear you like this game more than I do Liam."

Hilarious that he kept the name.

"You might not see it, but you remind me of Isaiah. Sorta. You're sweeter."

I- no... Alex laughed at Liam's insinuation. He seemed overjoyed with Liam's presence. "So you keep saying. I hate how much of a prick he is."

Liam snorted with laughter, joining Alex's. "You'd know how to make everything better, I know that. You'd befriend the prince, make Liam an ally, save the people!"

"You really think highly of me."

"I know you pretty well Alex. You'd be amazing."

Alex laughed and ruffled Liam's hair, "I appreciate the flattery. 6you staying over tonight?"

"If you'd let me."

Alex shook his head with a chuckle, and kissed Liam. It was sweet, and I could tell Liam was happy.

Good.

He deserved it.

The fact it was me he still ended up with made me happy.

But that dream let me know I could finally move on.

And it didn't show to a lot of people, but it showed to me. And while I was at the capital, I might have let it slip while in a meeting.

The end of it that is.

"We'd love to send a representative to other kingdoms so see how their new leader is doing," the emperor has stated.

"I could go your highness. Well my social skills are generally lacking, I'm on good terms with enough nobles to show I know how to act around them."

"Oh? Didn't think you'd volunteer."

I smiled kindly, an expression no one had seen in a year. "I'd love to represent us. The empire is my home after all. And it's been awhile since I've left it."

"You seem in a wonderful mood."

"I was graced with a vision from the gods. It has left me in good spirits."

"Oh? What was it about?"

I felt my smile grow, "I saw Liam." The silence seemed very loud in the room. "He's happy. I'm his new life. He found love of his own, and while that is with a different version of myself, I'm still glad he's happy."