Chapter Nine

I shut myself inside my room for a month.

I only opened the door door food, but didn't talk to a soul.

My family must've been worried, but I still couldn't face them after my outburst.

I came home, crying, and just ran to my room without a word.

I disappointed them, for sure...

Why couldn't I have been in love with Liam or Elliot or Tim? Maybe my heart wouldn't hurt this badly.

Lisa and Liam sent letters, and I read them all, but I couldn't send any back. I felt to guilty.

They were worried.

But Finn stopped talking to me altogether...

So I lost a friend too.

Fitting for me to end up alone.

at least they weren't going to execute me...

They were letting me live.

*KNOCK KNOCK*

Aggressive.

Apparently a guest.

A guest, at a time like this...

I walked to my door and glanced out the peephole. Standing there, was Liam, dressed in extremely casual clothing. He was about to knock again, when I opened up. Just barely? But he could see that it moved.

"Isaiah, I know it hurts, but locking yourself away from the people who support you isn't the way to feel better."

I stayed silent about it all.

"No one knows who you confessed too. Damon didn't say anything and when Finn asked me, I told him it wasn't my place to say."

I expected Damon to just throw me under the bus...

Maybe he just didn't want anyone to know he was blind towards what I felt for him.

"People are actually supportive for the most part. It's not something they're used to, and older generations do seem extremely against it, but the emperor has defended you."

What?

I pushed the door open, visible confusion on my face.

"What?"

"The odds may be against you, but the emperor seems to understand you enough to let you be." Liam took in my appearance, eyes turning upset. I was too skinny, haggard, disheveled and just a mess. "You need to bathe. Let's go." He pushed me back into my room and to my bathroom, shoving me in. "Clean yourself up."

He wasn't going to let me say no, so it was best to just go along with it. So I washed up and changed into clean clothes that I had in there. When I got out, Liam shoved me into a chair and brushed my hair out. Making it nice and not a tangled mess.

I still looked tired and I wasn't as charming as people made me out to be, but it was better.

"If he wasn't the crown prince, I'd cuss him out for what he said," Liam muttered.

"No, i expected this." With a sigh, "I don't know why I'm still so torn up about it."

Liam shook his head, "you're allowed to be upset, you loved him. Love is hard to get over."

"I know. I know..."

"Let's go see your family."

I nodded and got up, both of us walking out and towards my family. They were all eating... well finishing breakfast, silently.

I already ate...

All of them seemed glum, as if me missing hurt them as much as it hurt me...

I was stupid about the whole thing.

"Time for some family discussion," Liam announced. My family simply glanced over, startling when they saw me. They all hurried to stand up, and rushed over to me, crushing me in a hug.

It was so warm, my body felt enveloped by pure sunshine.

I don't know how long I stayed there, but I was happy there. And I think we all cried for a good bit.

But eventually we ended up in the sitting room. Liam say beside me.

If only I had fallen for him instea-

That nonsense line. Liam is straight and I don't want to bother if my heart would get broken again.

"What did he say?" My younger brother, James, asked.

"Who?"

Names scrunched up his nose, glaring a bit, "the prince!"

"Oh," I muttered. "Right. Well, when I told him, it took him a second. Then he said I was disgusting. And as my world fell apart, he told me to get out of his sight."

"I can't believe him!" Jackson exclaimed. "He's the disgusting one. Even if he didn't feel the same, there's a nicer way to say so."

"He threw out everything you two had together!" Rose agreed.

I simply shrugged, "I knew it would end up this way. I mean, he always seemed violently opposed to loving the same sex."

"He's missing out," Liam assured. "If he can't appreciate the genuine and pure love you had for him, then he can rot for all I care."

"So you knew?" My father asked Liam.

He hummed in acknowledgement. "When we rescued- when Isaiah rescued a young man, he had confessed to Isaiah. He of course, rejected him since he lived Damon. And when this man asked Isaiah to describe who he loved... you should've seen his face. He was looking at Damon and it was live as he described the prince to every detail... I knew."

Ah... I must've been quite obvious then. My own father picked up on it easily...

"I wish I was normal, then at least it wouldn't hurt."

"Don't say that." That was Devon.

Devon... I'm sorry.

"If I liked women, I'd be married ,)-?3 some kids, be happy, but I don't like women. I can't fathom having. A family with one or having a family as I am. If i had been normal, I wouldn't always feel alone."

He seemed to bite back a lot of his anger. "You think you'd be happy, but you wouldn't. Your emotions are valid and so are your fears and your worries. Letting yourself get lost in the what if's won't change what happened. All it does is make you lost. So maybe it would've been easier, but you are not a man who takes the easy route to anything."

"Poetic," my father commented.

"I really don't deserve any of you as family and friends."

"We're here for you. You are important to us. I think the way the prince has been acting is ridiculous. You deserve better," Liam comforted.

"Let's be honest here, there isn't many bachelors for me. And neither of them genuinely want me. King woods is after power and Richards was swayed since i saved him."

The all seemed to agree with that, sighing in defeat. "And it's too soon anyway. I've loved Damon since we were kids... it's hard to move on. Part of my doesn't want to. Part of me still hopes he didn't mean in and he'll tell me he feels the same... but I know that won't happen."

"Take the time you need."