Chapter Fifty One

Damon and I woke up to noise in the vila. It startled the both of us awake, still warm under the covers.

We glanced at each other as the noise got louder, which meant someone was approaching.

"You still carry extra swords in your mana storage, right?" He asked in a low and quiet voice. I nodded as we both silently and quickly got out of bed, standing besides each other as I pulled us both swords from my storage. I got both of us shields as well since we were both barely clothed. Damon had pants on, and boxers obviously, but I was wearing boxers and his shirt, which slipped on my slightly.

We hid behind our wardrobe, quiet in the dark, trying to decipher what is was that was coming towards us. It was loud. And we heart clashing of metal, meaning our soldiers were already fighting.

So it was hostile. As the noise grew, we both braved for it.

To think whoever it was would be able to find the villa. Hardly anyone knew of it outside the royal family.

This didn't spell good news.

The noise got the loudest it could, our bedroom door being smashed open, wood splintering every which way.

The intruder saw our sheets were empty and growled out their frustration.

"Where are they?" They questioned.

"We will never tell you!" The soldier shouted.

"You wish to die for such vile people?"

I glanced to Damon, and he pressed a kiss to my forehead, both of us unsure what to do. I wanted to help, and I pleaded with Damon wordlessly, trying to make him understand that we needed to help.

He seemed to agree. "We're here, put down our guards," he spoke, the two of us stepping out of our hiding spot, facing our intruder.

They were a large halfling. Half monster, half human. I assumed from the growling that there were more of them.

"Your highnesses, you need to get out of here!" A solider begged.

"We won't abandon our people. Isaiah, any tricks up your sleeve?" He asked, facing the intruder who looked ready to strike.

I nodded, "it will make me weak, but yes." I said it in a whisper, but Damon heard, nodding. So I looked at the monster dead in the eyes, "sit."

Everyone in the room shivered, and I felt the manor shake as many bodies thudded to follow. Including our intruder. I stumbled a bit, but Damon dropped his shield to catch me.

"All of those against us, walk outside and stay there, I have questions," I growled. And I heard more thudding, the intruders retreating. I winced at the pain that shot through my body, using Damon as a crutch.

The soldiers and Damon looked rather bewildered.

"I won't have control for too long, make sure everyone's okay and meet us out front," I commanded.

The soldiers present nodded and rushed off.

"What was that?" Damon asked.

I stood up again, stumbling for pants to throw on. Damon followed and fit a shirt real quick. "After what happened at the end of the war, I developed an ability to control monsters. Halflings and people who made deals or became monster like are affected."

"Then we should wrap this up before you pass out from over exertion."

I nodded as we went outside, a mass of monsters sat in front of the vila. I found their wafer easily. As I did, a soldier approached.

"No one is dead," they quickly informed. "We will need to get them medical attention soon, in the next few days."

"We're heading back tomorrow," Damon informed. "We need to notify my family and nobles."

The soldier nodded and joined the red fog the staff. I walked to the leader, Damon supporting me.

With a calm voice, I asked, "who sent you."

The leader resisted, but couldn't resist enough. "Third prince Bryson."

"What were your orders exactly?"

"Kill emperor's consort and the emperor if he got in the way."

I looked to Damon, and his face was blank, but his eyes were in pain. He didn't want to believe it.

"Did you make a contract?" I asked.

"Yes. He offered a hearty reward if we succeeded."

"Was he the only one involved?"

"No. I do not know the names of the others."

I swallowed back my anger and turned to Damon. "We need to summon all nobles when we get back. I can prove who sent them for sure that way."

Damon nodded stiffly.

"Why do you want to do with these guys?" I asked.

He pulled out his sword, "I'll send them to meet their maker." He looked at the staff, "those who do not wish to see blood, please go back inside."

Servants paled and rushed inside while the soldiers eyed Damon warily.

In almost a blink of an eye, there was no intruder left, just blood and guts. Even I felt sick at the sight.

I used my mana to clean it up, but it made me nauseous. This caused Damon to snap out of his rage to care about me, holding me to him.

"Are you alright? Do you need anything?" He asked.

I shook my head, "just some rest."

He nodded and hugged me tight as he turned to the soldiers. "We leave tomorrow. Rest up for the journey, I need all of you in top form."

They nodded.

A soldier was curious though, "will his highness and his consort be alright?"

"Yes. We'll just sleep in a different room tonight. We just need some rest. Isaiah used up a lot of mana."

They nodded again and went back inside, Damon and I following close behind. The staff looked worried as the both of us sat down on the couch in the resting area. I felt really drained.

Probably didn't help that I was already drained from our nightly activities. Ugh. Extremely drained from that.

"Can someone get a water and some bread?" Damon asked. I heard shuffling of feet as staff must've rushed to get it. Damon's hand touched my forehead, and it felt cool and relaxing.

"We brought the water and bread. We also brought a cold rag."

Damon sighed appreciatively, "thank you." He placed the rag on my head and brought the glass to my lips. I drank some water and when he handed me the bread, I ate as much as I could stomach.

"Is he going to be alright?"

"Yes. He just depleted a lot of his mana. He was already exhausted, so it didn't help. He'll be better tomorrow."

"What exactly even was that?"

"From what he told me, after the war, he developed an ability to control monsters, halfling or not. Obviously he's never used this ability before, so it took more energy than expected."

"Ah... we'll have your room set up in a few minutes, rest here."

And at those words, I faded into a deep sleep.