˗ˋ 65

CHAPTER SIXTY FIVE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH THE HOURS PASS

. . .

Time was dragging on. In fact, Rosie didn't think it had ever gone this slow. They were an hour and a quarter into the third task, and the excitement amongst those watching had died down as the time continued on. 

Now, it was mostly quiet in the stands. Well quiet in comparison to how it was when the task began. Now it was filled with a collective murmur of talk amongst the audience. Everyone was nervous, but nobody truly knew what the four champions were facing.

Except those who had put the obstacles in place, of course. It sounded easy enough - getting past a few obstacles in the form of magical creatures and spells. But for some reason, Rosie felt like that was just too straightforward.

She trusted that Dumbledore, Hagrid and whoever else who had put the obstacles in place that they wouldn't do something dangerous. But she just had this feeling that something strange was going to happen. Something not just dangerous, but deathly. 

Rosie could only hope that this feeling that had grown since finding out about the task was just a product of her worrying, and not something based on fact. Because honestly, she had nothing to prove that something bad was going to happen, she just had her feelings to go off.

And in all honesty, she had felt nervous before all of the tasks. She didn't know what it was about the final task that made her feel like it was going to end badly. 

"You still look sick." George said, leaning over to look at her face. "And very pale.. do you have any medicine with you?" 

"Oh.. maybe." Rosie didn't even think to bring any of her medicine with her, and as she frowned, wondering whether or not she should risk going back up to the castle with it, Molly pulled a small orange container out of her bag, along with a water bottle. 

"Your parents sent this to me when they found out I had been invited to come. It's a refill, and it was supposed to be for when you finished your others." She explained, and Rosie took it, taking two of the pills and swallowing it with some water. 

"Thank you." She said, shivering slightly with a gust of wind. "I think I need to get out of the crowd for a while, if anyone wants to come." 

"I will." It wasn't either of the twins that said it, but Bill, and Rosie nodded, standing up and taking the jacket that Fred offered her, the boy having noticed the goosebumps appear on her leg.

Wearing a thin summer dress and having no coat during the day was fine, but when the night had fallen and the inky sky was filled with stars, you would be freezing. 

"Thanks." She mumbled, pulling the jacket over her shoulders and about to set off when a set of red sparks could be seen from within the maze. "Oh.." She wobbled slightly and Bill grabbed her arm, stopping her from sitting down again and instead helping her along, getting to the stairs. 

They walked down them slowly, footsteps echoing in the silence. They emerged out of the stands, onto the grassy area shadowed by the circular pitch. 

"Here." Bill said, spotting a bench in the darkness and leading a still slightly-wobbly Rosie over to it, helping her sit down. She had brought the water with her, and took a few sips of it. 

"How long has it been since you were here?" Rosie asked finally, eyes on the outline of the school, tiny rectangles lit up by orange. 

"I left the year that you started." Bill said. "So six years ago today I would've been getting ready to graduate. Shame, I have a feeling I would've enjoyed witnessing the chaos that you, Fred and George caused in your first year." 

"You wouldn't." Rosie scoffed, taking another sip of water. "You were head boy, right? I think we would've caused more trouble for you then we did for us." 

"I remember Mum talking about how many letters she recieved. I heard from Charlie that you got quite a few Howlers." He said, tucking a strand of hair behind his ear.

"We sent them to ourselves. George can do a very good impression of Mrs Weasley. We got one from her though, which is where the idea came from." In Rosie's eyes laughter sparked, only just visible in the half light. 

They sat in silence for a few minutes, Rosie drinking more water, feeling herself getting calmer and calmer by the minute. There was a reason why Bill had come with her, and she hadn't realised it initially, but it was because he was a rather calming presence. 

She had heard from his two younger brothers that he had gone through stuff like she had with her mental health, and although he hadn't gotten diagnosed with anything, he had managed to get through it himself. And it seemed that whatever he had learnt he was trying with her - and it was working. 

"So you like Diggory huh?" He asked, and Rosie couldn't help but notice the spike of anxiety that usually came along with thinking of Cedric that day didn't come. "I would take on the older brother role for you and threaten him a bit, but I think you already have two people here ready to do that for you." 

"Not that he'll take them seriously. We've been friends since the beginning of this year, and he's endured quite a lot of their teasing. I've told him that they don't mean it too many times." Rosie shrugged. "Fred and George could try it, but I suppose if I need someone who a little more threatening I can write to you or Charlie." 

"The oldest Weasley boys would be your best choices. Charlie has dragons." Bill said, and Rosie laughed. "I heard he came along for the first task." 

"He did, it was good seeing him again - but I don't think he's coming back any time soon. He did offer to let me stay with him in the summer if I decide to go to Romania like he offered." Rosie shrugged. "I might take him up on it." 

"Depending on how this goes?" Bill asked, and Rosie narrowed her eyes slightly. "Come on, I heard everyone talking about it, aren't you going to tell Cedric you like him back afterwards? If that all works out then you'll have something else to do in the summer." 

"I suppose so.." Rosie smiled to herself, before shrugging again. 

"Come on, let's go back up, I'm sure everything will be fine." Bill said, and Rosie nodded, getting up and beginning to walk back. But just as they reached the entrance to the stands, just by the tunnel that lead to the clearing where the judges sat. 

A wooshing noise could be heard, and the sound of something heavy landing on the grass. Bill didn't even stop her as she walked closer, just as curious to see as her. It was Harry, Harry and Cedric. 

A smile appeared on Rosie's lips as she moved closer. But then she stopped swaying slightly on her feet as Harry was pulled away from what he was clutching. 

And there laid Cedric, completely still, hand splayed out against the grass. a sea glass and seashell bracelet circling his wrist.