˗ˋ 32

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH SHE GETS DISTRACTED

. . .

"Cho, lovely... dress." Rosie commented, as Cedric and his date approached them, still whilst dancing. Fred spun Rosie out and back in with ease, dipping the girl, who looked up at Cedric, a slightly smirk on her face.

"Thanks." Cho said rather shortly, Fred pulling Rosie back up elegantly. The pair seemed rather surprised that both the Weasley twin and Rosie could dance so well, Cedric studied Rosie for a moment. 

"How about that dance then? Later of course." Rosie met Cedric's eyes, he and Fred simultaneously lifting their date's up as McGonagall had taught them. 

"What's this?" Cho looked rather flustered at Rosie's words, glancing up at her date. "A dance?" She asked. 

"I promised Rosie a dance." Cedric replied, not even looking away from the Kersey girl for a moment, admiring her dress, eyes flickering up to her hair, light catching on the pearls threaded there - creating a rather ethereal effect.

"You did?" Cho asked, sounding rather like a parrot. Rosie glanced up at Fred, who nodded slightly. 

"Well, we'll be seeing you." Fred said, turning him and Rosie away, hand still on his best friend's waist as he lead her over to a table, sitting down in the chairs, Rosie not hesitating to get comfortable. "Her face was priceless." Fred commented.

"I have a feeling she thinks her and Cedric are much closer than they are - or what I know of." Rosie smiled a little, before it faded, feeling almost bad that she was being so horrible. Before remembering how Cho had treated her when all she was doing was checking on her friend after the task. 

The slower sing finished, replaced by a much more upbeat one - which had most of the students up on their feat dancing at last, McGonagall looking accomplished. 

Rosie peered around people, trying to see if Cedric and Cho were still within the midst of the crowd, but out of the corner of her eye, she saw a dark haired girl making a beeline for her. 

"I'm going to get us drinks." Rosie said to Fred, shooting out of her seat instantly after she said it - leaving the boy confused, figuring it out when he saw Cho making her way towards where Rosie was once sat. 

The half mermaid wove her way through the crowds, seeing Katie and Alicia, slipping into their group and dancing with them for a few moments, the group moving around the dance floor. Rosie slipped out of the group not much later, emerging right next the table of drinks and a few plates of snacks. 

Rosie filled two of the ice-like goblets up with the shimmery red liquid, turning around to try and make her way back to Fred. Only to jump out of her skin and miraculously not spill any of the drink on her when she saw a boy in red in front of her. 

"Hello." She smiled, placing the two goblets down for a moment, trying to calm down a bit. "You gave me quite a fright." Rosie laughed slightly, looking up at the boy and recognising him as one of the Durmstrang boys. 

"I'm so sorry." He said, English perfectly clear and barely even a hint of an accent there. Rosie's eyes widened just slightly, and the boy chuckled. "You Hogwarts people always get surprised when I speak British." 

"English." Rosie gently correcting him, giggling at the boys reaction. "But it's very good - very admirable, I'm so horrible at learning languages." 

"My mum's from England somewhere, so I grew up speaking it." He explained, Rosie listening intently. "I'm Theodosii, but I'm usually just called Theo." 

"Nice to meet you Theo, I'm Rosie." At some point, Rosie had put down the drinks, and she offered her hand for Theo to shake, blushing profusely when he gently kissed it instead. 

"I noticed you came with a date, but I wasn't sure exactly how it was with him. Forgive me if it sounds creepy, but since I arrived, it seems like it's more a friends situation, from what I've seen." Theo said. "Of course, it's only from passing in the corridors or at lunch - I've not been stalking you, I swear." He grew slightly flustered, and Rosie smiled, placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

"Don't worry, you're completely right." She said, removing her hand quickly and looking up at Theo. "I can't say I'm here with Fred on a romantic basis. In fact, I'm pretty sure he and his twin are hassling Ludo Bagman about something right now - he's supposed to be waiting for me to come back with drinks." 

"Well, in that case." Theo smiled. "I just came over to say that I thought you looked very pretty, and if you wouldn't mind dancing with me." 

"It would be my pleasure." Rosie replied, completely abandoning the goblets of juice at this point, taking Theo's offered hand, letting him sweep her away into the crowd of people, who were dancing a rather elegant, but fast-paced dance. 

Caught up in it all, she didn't notice a certain Hufflepuff watching from afar, or one ginger twin who watched as his best friend had the time of her life.

The both of them wishing it was them dancing with her.

✧