˗ˋ 41

CHAPTER FOURTY ONE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH SHE BEGINS TO HELP

. . .

The cold enveloped her body, and Rosie felt a rush of goosebumps erupt all over her body. But the cold didn't last long, as she felt her legs morph into her tail, and her skin turn scaly. 

Thankfully, she wasn't exactly like the other mermaids which inhabited the lake (don't tell them that - despite them being family they rather scared her), and Rosie set out to try and find the champions, or at least where they were aiming to be.

She swam past fish after fish, and dived down into various clouds of seaweed as she hid from the Giant Squid - who weren't exactly the friendliest with the mermaids.

Up above she saw Harry, fighting a Grindylow - and was surprised to see Moaning Myrtle float past her, and she dived down below the pair, dodging the Grindylow and hiding out of sight. 

After they passed, she finally realised what route they were on. Hiding in seaweed, she followed Harry to the village where her family lived - or at least near to where they lived.

The merpeople watched as Harry emerged from the forest of seaweed to their village, and talked behind their hands, pointing at the gills on his face. 

Rosie hid just behind one of the houses, peering out on the scene. In the centre were four bodies, no doubt what the champions had to rescue. Ron, Hermione, some little girl that Rosie didn't recognise and Cho Chang, who even in her sedated state made the Gryffindor mermaid glare at her. 

But there was no sight of anyone there - Harry seemed to be the first one there. And now that he had found it, she could help Cedric. She swam off as quickly as she could, circling around the village sp not to draw any attention to herself. 

She didn't know how, but Rosie seemed to have some idea on where Cedric was. And her instinct was proved correct when she saw a dash of yellow amongst the green of the seaweed. 

Pushing her way through the seaweed, she emerged in front of Cedric, who froze, staring at her. He said something - but she couldn't hear it, only bubbles coming out. From his gestures, it seemed that he was trying to tell her that he meant no harm. 

Even underwater, he was handsome. Rosie was shocked by the sudden thought, and simply stared at the boy for a few moments. The Hufflepuff champion took this as the mermaid understand he meant no harm and beginning to swim away.

Panicked and without thinking, Rosie stretched out a scaly arm, and poked the boy on the shoulder. Cedric turned around quickly, too shcoked to shrug off her hand. Rosie couldnt' say anything, but instead jerked her head in the direction she came from. 

Cedric's brow creased, confused on what she was trying to do. He began to swim away, but Rosie shook her head, instead of just placing her hand on his shoulder, she took his arm and began pulling him in the direction. 

He seemed to panic, confused on what the mermaid was doing. Trying to get away, Cedric saw the mermaid glare at him, shaking her head and continuing to drag him.

She only got him in sight of the village, using a scaly hand to point at it before swimming off. Cedric obviously got the message, and swam towards it.

Rosie followed him, appearing on the outskirts, trying her best not to jump in when one of the merman held a spear to Harry's throat, telling him to only take one. Harry looked relieved to see Cedric, and unconciously, Rosie began to swim upwards, so she could get a better look at the scene.

Cedric rescued Cho and began swimming upwards, only glancing towards Rosie for a second - and in the much lighter water, seemed oddly fixated on her, especially her hair. Which just so happend to be one part of her that didn't change when she changed. Whilst the other mermaids had ginger locks, her's stayed a stubborn dark brown.

He disappeared to the surface, and Rosie watched as Harry struggled, trying to free the silver-haired girl and Ron. She couldn't step in and help - she wasn't allowed. 

But something in Harry's panicked eyes made her want to, and soon enough she was swimming towards the boy, the mermaids looking shocked as they recognised her.

"Rosie - you can't!" They shouted, and the girl rolled her eyes. "We're not supposed to help."

"And I'm not supposed to be down here either. Can't pick and choose with the rules. If you tell Dumbledore of this I'll tell him that you invited me down here to get a first hand viewing of the task." Rosie smirked, and Harry stared for a moment. 

She winked at him, and it seemed that realisation swept through Harry, who smiled slightly as she appeared beside him. Harry got to cutting the rope that secured Ron down, and Rosie managed to undo the one around the little girl's wasit rather quickly. 

And as soon as they were free, she and Harry were pulling the two sedated people up to the surface. Harry puleld Ron forward, and Rosie pulled up the little girl. However, literal seconds before they were to surface, Harry was shocked when Rosie pushed the girl into his arms, disappearing into the murky depths.

Allowing the youngest champion take credit for everything.